#StorytellersBookTour: Intimate Conversation with Nicole Hampton

Intimate Conversation with Nicole Hampton

Born in the South Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, Nicole Hampton’s love for reading developed at an early age. She often spent hours becoming lost in the worlds of characters of her favorite books. Reading offered an opportunity for Nicole to dream about life outside of her community and fed her desire to want to explore the world beyond her modest surroundings. Wanting to find a way to help people see the struggles in their lives differently, Nicole wrote skits and plays for her church that addressed real life issues, and helped people to see God in their situations. The accolades given by those who saw her plays fueled her determination to write her first novel, Glimmer in the Darkness, and continue to address issues that occur in day-to-day life.
Nicole earned a Master’s Degree in Social Work, and utilizes the skills and knowledge learned to address the issues presented in her debut novel in a manner that allows people to connect and understand the struggles of her characters. Nicole lives in North Carolina, is a dedicated wife and mother of six, who spends any time she can snatch, developing characters and story lines to share with her readers.

BPM: When did you get your first inkling to write, and how did you advance the call for writing? 

My desire to become an author developed in 2006. It was a long process getting from having a thought to actually writing a novel. When I finally built up the nerve and become serious, I took writing courses and was surprised to find out that I knew quite a bit about the process. I didn’t stop there, I have attended as many workshops as I possibly could about writing and publishing and sought the advice of other authors and people in the writing and publishing business. Doing those things was a great investment of my time and resources. It took a couple of years to actually finish Glimmer in the Darkness, but I learned a lot during the process; the most important being how to become disciplined with my time. 

BPM: Tell us about your passion for writing. Why do you write? What drives you?

When I write, I feel empowered and a deep sense of satisfaction that I have not ever felt with my other profession. I write, because I want to touch the lives of others on a larger scale. I am driven by wanting to do what I never thought imaginable, that is to live my life with no regrets, to dare to dream and be willing to fail a time or two, along the path leading to my idea of success.

BPM: What hurdles, if any, did you have to overcome as a new author and business owner?

The largest hurdle I have had to overcome is being afraid of rejection. I had to come to the realization that I could write the most beautiful novel ever created, and someone will still find fault with it. There will always be someone who will not like it. Another major obstacle that I had to overcome is time. My life prior to writing a novel was extremely busy with meeting the needs of my family and working a full time job. However, I had to learn to make time for myself and pursue what I found to be important.

BPM: Can you share a little of your current work with us? Introduce us to your book and characters.

My debut novel, Glimmer in the Darkness will take readers into the life of Shannon Johnson, who much like the rest of us, poured her everything into her family. So much so, that she didn't realize that part of her family unit was suffering, until the unthinkable occurred.

Daniel Johnson, is Shannon’s hard working husband, who is a great provider, but does not do well with communicating his needs to his wife. Daniel feels unappreciated and opens a door in his marriage that he will never be able to close.

Vaneetra James, is the bane of Shannon’s existence. Her presence in Shannon’s and Daniels life, has brought about earth shaking challenges.

BPM: What genre is this book? Do you write all of your books in this category? Why?

Glimmer in the Darkness is a women’s contemporary fiction novel. At this time, I have not written in any other genres, but have plans to write children’s book, one in particular to address traumatic injury. I would one day love to write mystery and suspense novels.

BPM: What should readers DO after reading this book?

After reading this book, readers should encourage their friends to buy and read Glimmer in the Darkness, so that they can have a conversation about the real life issues addressed in it.

BPM: What are your career goals as a writer? Have you accomplished most of them?

My number one career goal is to be able to write full time. After I accomplish that, I plan to write across a couple of different genres. Overall, my goal is for any book I write to help the reader in some form or fashion.

BPM: What have you realized about yourself since becoming a published author?

I have realized that I possess courage to step outside of my bubble and educate people on Nicole. Prior to this journey, that was something I did not think I could do.

BPM: What are some of the benefits of being an author that makes it all worthwhile?

When people reach out to me and tell me how my novel touched their lives, it makes it all worthwhile.

BPM: What are you the most thankful for now?

I am most thankful for the love and support of my family and friends. They have motivated me to keep pressing forward to live my dreams.

BPM: Do you have any advice for people seeking to publish a book?

My advice for people seeking to publish a book is to put God first in everything that you do. Stay in prayer, and ask him to frame your every move. Write with the idea of wanting to touch someone’s life. Always remain determined and be willing to travel the distance. Leave room for error and learn from your mistakes. Take classes, attend workshops, seek and take advice from other professionals in the business. Finally be willing to work hard for free.

Website: http://thenicolehampton.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheNicoleHampton
Twitter: @nicolehampton01 - https://twitter.com/nicolehampton01


Purchase Glimmer in the Darkness by Nicole Hampton
Link: http://amzn.com/B016IQ7TYE