Having Babies By Bums: 10 Rules Every Woman Must Follow

Intimate Conversation with author M.R. Webb

M.R. Webb is a self-described “bastard child” who spent his formative years growing up on the streets of Brooklyn, New York. “When my mother had me she was a young 20 year-old, no high school diploma, unemployed and on welfare. My father was 19 years-old; at the time of my birth he was sitting in a prison cell awaiting his fate for nearly killing a man.” These were the dismal set of circumstances that served as the backdrop for the portrait of Webb’s life.

Webb says that it was only God’s grace that allowed him to escape the pitfalls of drugs and street violence, earn a Bachelor of Science Degree in Mass Communications from a top ranking university, and then go on to obtain his Juris Doctor of Law Degree. Today, Webb is a senior executive at a consulting firm in the Northeast.


Ella Curry of EDC Creations chats with M.R. Webb

Ella: Finish this sentence: I am Powerful because...
I am Powerful because... I realize that there is a power greater than myself.


Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I’m from Brooklyn, New York. My writing journey started as a child in elementary school. Writing became my medium for expressing my thoughts. I started competing locally and nationally in original oratory, poetry, and essay contests in junior high school. The rest is history.


Ella: Please introduce us to your fantastic new book.
My new book Having Babies By Bums: 10 Rules Every Woman Must Follow To Avoid Choosing A Terrible Father For Her Child is a meaningful conversation and exchange of ideas between myself and women. The writing of this book was prompted by two life-changing events that occurred almost simultaneously last year. In August, I almost lost my life in a near fatal car accident. Several weeks later my 15 year-old niece gave birth, took her baby, and ran away with the father who was a much older man. I felt that I needed to record these thoughts that would outlive me and possibly help my niece and other women make better decisions about the men they choose as partners and fathers for their children.

This book draws upon my life’s experiences as the son of a BUM, my friendships with many men who are BUMS, and my relationships, conversations, and observations of the many women that have been my friends, "sisters", confidants, teachers, and even lovers over the last twenty years.


Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader to pick it up?
The honesty and relevance of the subject matter of this book makes it a must-have. Every day women are recklessly having children by “BUMS” who are mentally, spiritually, emotionally, and financially incapable of caring for those children. It’s become an epidemic in our society. This book offers very sincere and candid advice to women about “Recognizing Bums”, “Staying Single and Not Settling”, and “Recognizing the Bum Within Themselves.”

Having Babies By BUMS snatches current events from today's headlines such as the Chris Brown-Rihanna domestic violence case, Octo Mom (Nadya Suleman), the Cassie Anthony case, and even First Lady Michelle Obama’s relationship with her daughters to share powerful life lessons with both women and men.

Having Babies By BUMS is a unique and powerful book because it offers women honest, practical, and life changing guidance on how to choose a quality man to have a child with. The book details characteristics in certain men that women should see as WARNING! signs, offers sound advice to women who have children about “Raising men not BUMS” and “Treating their daughters like children and not their girlfriends.” Most importantly, this book empowers and encourages women to engage in self-reflection and self-evaluation of their own lives in order to identify, deal with, and get rid of their habits and characteristics that attract BUMS!


Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
My only goal in writing this book was to provoke thought in women regarding why and how they choose the potential fathers of their children. If the book inspires women to be more cautious, concerned, and careful when selecting their partners- then that goal has been accomplished.


Ella: What is the most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
The amount of dedication it takes to make the journey from a having a concept for a book in your head to holding that book in your hand. It’s an amazing trip!


Ella: What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?
I believe that Having Babies By BUMS is my most significant achievement thus far.


Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
I often encourage new writers to be like Virginia Woolf. I tell them to find a “room of their own” and create writings that express their true inner voice.


Ella: Name 3 things that it takes to make a successful author, in your opinion?
A passion for writing.
A desire to be heard.
A comprehensive knowledge of the literary business.


Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
You can look for more books from me that offer readers a different literary experience. You can also expect other outstanding authors to be published by King of Kings Publishing.


Ella: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
I’m looking forward to meeting readers, fellow authors, and publishers at the National Black Book Festival in Houston and the Harlem Book Festival in New York.


Contact Information:
M.R. Webb, Author
Link: www.babiesbybums.com
mrwebb@babiesbybums.com
mrwebbtheauthor@twitter.com


Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag