Intimate Conversation with Colette R. Harrell

Intimate Conversation with Colette R. Harrell


Colette R. Harrell
, wants you to know that she’s like you, God’s chosen vessel. She has come to be a gift, to be an encourager and a light that reflects God’s goodness.

She’s a wife, mother, author and playwright. A Detroit native, she currently calls Ohio home. She holds a master’s and is a Director of Social Services. Writing with humor and compassion to engage and minister to the human heart. Her motto is: whatever you do, do it “for love alone.”

Her latest novel, Tell The Truth; The Devil Won’t will thrill in October 2015. It is filled with wisdom and humor. This adventurous love story goes where Ms. Harrell loves to tread, down an unbeaten path. No millionaires rescuing damsels in distress—although she enjoys these reads herself—but every day people, falling and getting back up.

The Devil Made Me Do It was her debut novel. It was nominated for The 2015 Phillis Wheatley Book Awards in First Fiction. It has been held as one of Black Pearl Magazine’s, top ten Christian fiction books for 2014. In addition, Read Between The Lines radio show, named it as one of its overall top ten books for 2014.

Make no mistake, her sophomore novel, Tell The Truth, The Devil Won’t will cement her as an author to watch.

BPM: Can you share a little of your current work with us? 
My sophomore novel is titled Tell The Truth; The Devil Won’t.  It continues the story of some key characters from my debut novel, The Devil Made Me Do It. I had a ball writing this! It deals with overcoming betrayal, second chances at love, and redemption. We find out what happened to our reluctant, tarnished, tiara-wearing Cinderella princess, Esther Wiley. We scream, I told you so, at Briggs Stokes, our long-suffering pastor. Finally, he learns the wisdom . . . If you want to help others, you first have to put the oxygen mask on your own face and breathe! And, there’s Roger, our prisoner of hope. Ready to face the world again—if he can only catch a break.

BPM: What’s the most important quality a writer should have in your opinion?
Perseverance! You can tell a good story . . . know grammar and syntax . . . but, baby, if you can’t stick with it, your writing career will be toast! Despite your nine-to-five job, your family commitments, your church and community responsibilities, and the days you just can’t pull it all together, you have to rock with it! And when you fall behind due to life pushing you around? You have to roll up your sleeves, get it together, and go back after it.

BPM: Did you learn anything from successfully publishing The Devil Made Me Do It? 
Yes, I learned that fear can’t hold me. We can get real caught up in what people may or may not say about us. So much so that it ends up crippling our ability to move. I learned to talk myself off the ledge and place myself into the fray by doing each step by faith. I can tell you this, sometimes the crocodile tears tried to limit my vision, but guess what? I stuck my hand out there and felt my way through.

BPM: What was your primary quest in publishing the second book? Why now?
I felt like the story The Devil Made Me Do It’s original characters weren’t finished telling their story. As long as we are alive our stories continue to unfold, so I knew they had more to tell. Could Briggs and Monica make it? Did Lawton and Esther really ride off into the sunset? Whose baby was Monica having? How did prison affect Roger? And, just a little secret . . . My readers from The Devil Made Me Do It were messaging me, e-mailing me, and stopping me in public. The common thread of their questions? Where’s the doggone second book?!

BPM: We are here to shine the spotlight on your new book, but what's next?
Oh my goodness! A lot is happening. I am currently writing my third and final book in this series, The Devil Wears Two Faces, and it will be released in April 2016. This book is predominantly new characters, with some characters from the previous two books as backstory. 
This year, I received a nomination for my first novel, The Devil Made Me Do It, from the 2015 Phillis Wheatley Harlem Book Awards. Black Pearls magazine named it as one of their top ten Christian books of 2014, and Read You Later radio show named it as one of their top ten books for 2014. My first year has been eye-opening, dramatic, and a roller-coaster ride. I’m praying that we continue the journey—no seat belts needed.

BPM: How may our readers follow you online? Please share your social media links. 
My biggest challenge is staying up to date on my social media. But, there is nothing more inspiring than hearing from my readers. Y’all hit a sistah up!  It Takes A Village To Raise A Dream.  Be A Part Of Someone's Village!

Author website:  http://www.writespirit.org
Pinterest:  http://www.pinterest.com/coletteharrell/
FB Profile:  http://www.facebook.com/Colette.R.Harrell
Fanpage:  https://www.facebook.com/ColetteRHarrellFans


Order Tell the Truth The Devil Won't (Book 2)
Link:  http://amzn.com/1622868196

Order The Devil Made Me Do It (Book 1)
Link:  http://amzn.com/1601627823