DONUM: A Novel by Alexandra Lane


Coming June, 2015

A prophecy was foretold, death and destruction were released and Armageddon would soon be upon the world. But before the world knew what was coming, what was waiting in the shadows, it all began in the small town of Capers, NC. 

Born, Charles Leonardis, Jr., with light teal colored eyes mingled with a hint of light, his given nickname is, Teal. His eyes will be the beginning as things slowly develop and strange phenomena begin to happen to him as a child. His eyes will become a window into many things, things that are of this world and some that are not, and some things he'd wish he'd never seen.

Meanwhile, the townspeople of Capers embrace a new stranger, Noigel Braddock, a rich, handsome billionaire from New York who will start a huge profitable Tech company in downtown Capers. He will make new acquaintances and make many of them very rich. However, there is something far more sinister about Noigel than anyone truly realizes. His arrival will unleash a hell upon the town of Capers that they never thought possible.

The townspeople will begin to change, they will start behaving irrationally; committing atrocities they otherwise would not. Teal, who sees the town being slowly pulled apart will have the daunting task of confronting evil head on as things escalate out of control.

Chaos will ensue, crime and death totals will rise and life will change forever, from what they once knew. The question is, how do you stop evil, when you don’t know that it is?


EXCERPT FROM DONUM


Pastor Wright took her hand in his. “I don’t think you’re crazy at all. I think it is truly a miracle from God and I believe every word you’re saying.”

Tears welled up in her eyes again. “Thank you, Pastor. I thought I was going to explode if I didn’t tell someone what actually happened to me. I can’t even tell my own family because they’re all hypochondriacs, and they’ll just think the cancer shifted from the lower part of my body to my brain and start thinking I have a brain tumor. So, I keep my mouth shut,” she said with a little chuckle.

“What if I was to tell you that the little boy is standing in the hallway waiting to meet you?”

She instantly stood up. She looked towards the doorway.

“Let me get him,” he said. “Are you okay with that?”

Eliza shook her head, yes, for she couldn’t conjure up the words. Teal and Katy walked in the room. Eliza walked over to Teal and knelt down, she looked at him intensely then she softly wrapped her arms around him and held him.
Teal looked up at his mother. Katy could see he was questioning what was happening. Pastor Wright walked over and touched Eliza’s shoulder, she looked up at the Pastor, dabbed her eyes then she looked over at Katy.

“This is your little boy?” she asked.

“Yes.”

“He’s a blessing. A true gift,” Eliza said.

“Yes, he is definitely a gift to Charles and me,” Katy said smiling, but she was recounting in her head the many years they tried to conceive but couldn’t.

Eliza looked at Teal. “Do you remember me?”

“Yes.” Teal touched her head. “You’re all better now?”

She laughed. “Yes, I’m all better now.”

“Then why are you crying?” Teal asked with his head slightly tilted.

“Because God sent you to me,” she said looking through a well of tears. All of a sudden, Eliza’s family entered the room and she stood and wiped her face.

“Everything ok, Eliza?” her father asked as he looked at the guest in the room.

“Yes, papa. I’m just happy to see Pastor Wright and this sweet little boy. I didn’t think I would ever be standing here talking to anyone ever again. So, these are tears of joy, papa.”

Pastor Wright picked his hat up from the table. “Well, we won’t take up anymore of your time. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you in church soon and we’ll talk some more then.”

“Yes you will Pastor,” she said with a big smile. They hugged once more. Then Katy, Teal and the Pastor all left. When they got in the car Katy glanced back at Teal who was playing with his Spiderman and Superman action figures. Katy oddly looked at Pastor Wright. “What was that all about Pastor Wright?” she inquired as she started the car and headed back to the church.

“Katy, I’m going to ask you to do something that’s going to sound really strange to you,” he said with great hesitation.

“What’s that, Pastor?” she asked wondering.

“I need you to shift your mind from everything you’ve ever learned as a Psychologist and open your mind to something that is going to be very difficult to absorb,” he said looking towards Katy. He was agonizing over how to present the words to her.

Looking worried, Katy asked, “What is it, Pastor?”

He looked at Teal, then to Katy. “Katy, your son has a gift.”

When he said those words, Katy’s mind automatically went back to the old woman in the park. “That’s what that old woman said.”

Pastor Wright was thrown off by her statement. “What old woman?” he asked.

“I took Teal to the park one day and an old woman came up to him and called him a strange name. She kept saying he was DONUM and that I had to protect him. She also said he had gifts and that he needed to understand how to use them, and what was happening to him. She told me to bring my son to you and you could help him.” Katy had turned into the church parking lot and parked the car. She looked at Pastor Wright like she had a lot on her mind. “As a matter of fact, when I visited one of my patients in the hospital this morning she said the same thing as the old woman and used the same word. She said that an angel told her to tell me to watch after my son, he was the key. Then she said the same word the old woman had said; DONUM. Then she died,” Katy said with a blank stare.

“She died?”

“Yes. They were calling it an attempted suicide, but she told me she didn’t try to kill herself, she said that something came into her room last night and tried to kill her,” Katy said with a blank expression. She was having a hard time with the words she was saying.

The Pastor removed his hat and rubbed his bald head. He took out his handkerchief and dabbed it across his forehead and neck. “Katy, something is happening here in Capers and apparently it’s only going to get worse. To have had two people give you the same message about your son could only mean that he is going to be crucial to whatever is coming and, he needs to be ready for it.

“Pastor Wright,” Teal called.

“Yes, Teal.”

“Do you know what pro-phas-sy is?” Teal asked trying to remember how to say the word.

Pastor Wright wondered for a few seconds. “Do you mean, Prophecy?” he asked curiously.

“Yes, that’s what she said.” Teal replied.

“Who? Who said something about prophecy?” asked Pastor Wright looking at Teal.

Katy interrupted. “Oh, I forgot to tell you about the dream he had,” Katy said with her same blank stare but with a hint of sarcasm.

“After a horrible night of Teal being attacked,” she said with air quotes. “Later that night in the hospital, he said that a lady spoke to him in a dream and said he was going to be alright. She also told him that evil was here in Capers and…” she was trying to remember the rest of his words.

“Arm-getton, mommy,” Teal said reminding her.

“Armageddon?” The Pastor asked looking at Teal.

“Yes,” he answered. Pastor Wright put his hand to his mouth, he was sweating, his eyes wondered all around as he tried to piece it all together. “Oh my dear God,” he mumbled.

“Katy, I need you to listen to me, please.” There was silence as Katy coolly looked at him. He dabbed his forehead again. “There’s no easy way for me to say this, so I just have to say it. Your son has the gift to heal. When he says they took something from him, he means the energy that leaves his body when they’re being healed from touching him. In the bible, it talks about the woman that had the issue of blood, if you remember, she touched Jesus’s robe and was healed instantly. But the thing that made this healing stick out from the others was, there was a multitude of people surrounding Jesus that was pushing on him and touching him, but he could still tell that someone had touched him and was healed because he said ‘virtue is gone out of me.’ To heal another, drains that person’s body of energy when something as powerful as your son’s gift is activated.”

He sat silent and never took his eyes from Katy’s. Katy turned away and closed her eyes. She raked her fingers through her hair and pulled.

“Stay with me Katy, please,” Pastor Wright implored. “The word DONUM is a Latin word that means, Gift. That old woman you saw in the park was a messenger of God, and that thing that attacked Teal, that was one of Satan’s demons trying to kill your son.”

Katy’s head shot around towards Pastor Wright when she heard those words.

“Katy, your son is not a typical, everyday boy. Your son is a gift from God and he was sent here to do something of great importance either for someone, or some people, maybe the whole town, I’m not sure. But that’s why the messages are being sent to you, and they’re right, we must protect him,” Pastor Wright said anxiously. 
“Your son said, Armageddon, this word is from the book of Revelations where it talks about the last days. This is where the devil, the Anti-Christ and the false prophet rise to bring destruction and desolation upon the earth. We need to start finding answers Katy, and I mean, now,” Pastor Wright said with utmost seriousness. “And I believe it all starts with your neighbor, Noigel Braddock. Evil has beset this town from the very first day he arrived here. I believe he is the core to whatever is getting ready to happen.”  There was silence. “Katy?”

Katy didn’t answer. She just stared out the window. Pastor Wright sat still and didn’t speak a word. He knew it was a lot for her to absorb, but he was praying she wouldn’t dismiss it either.  “I need some time, Pastor,” she finally said.

“Sure, Katy. I know this is a lot,” he said empathetically. “But I need you to understand one thing. We don’t have a whole lot of time. We need to get Teal ready for…”

“For what?” she belted out as she sharply snapped her head around looking at Pastor Wright. “What?!” she asked again.

“Katy, I don’t have all the answers right now, but I promise you, I will have more to tell you when I see you next time. But you need to open your eyes and see, Katy.”

“Well Pastor, I’m not sure if I’m the right person because I am a trained Psychologist and you have to know how all of this sounds to me right now!” Katy bellowed out.

“I do,” he softly responded.

“It’s going to be ok, mommy,” Teal said from the back seat. “The lady said so,” he said with sweet innocence.

Katy looked at her son, turned back and heavily rubbed her hands over her face. “I need to get Teal home and I have to get to work,” she said looking forward.

“I understand.” Pastor Wright unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the car. Katy quickly put the car in reverse and backed out hurriedly. She didn’t speak another word as she drove off.

Pastor Wright stood in the parking lot and watched as she drove away. Katy took a quick glimpse in the rearview mirror. She could see that he looked troubled; frightened. But one thing Katy knew for sure, he wasn’t as frightened as she was.


( Continued... )

© 2015 All rights reserved. Book excerpt reprinted by permission of the author, Alexandra Lane. Do not reproduce, copy or use without the author's written permission. This excerpt is used for promotional purposes only.


DONUM: A Novel by Alexandra Lane
Coming Soon! Start following the journey today, links below!
Twitter Link:  https://twitter.com/DONUM15
FB Link:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/DONUM/635799543190833 



Meet the Author
Alexandra Lane
was born in Fayetteville, NC but due to her father’s military career she has lived in various states and countries. To have the opportunity to become familiar with other cultures and their traditions was an uplifting and educational journey. One she was glad to have participated in.

She later returned to Fayetteville where she attended Fayetteville State University and received a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration/Management.  Upon graduation she worked in the financial world of banking. Although she enjoyed her years as a Banking Center Manager she wanted to devote more of her time to writing and telling compelling stories. She is currently working on her next novel.

Website:  http://alexandralane.tateauthor.com
Twitter:  https://twitter.com/avisionofangels
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/alexandra.lane11