CHILDREN AUTHOR: Intimate Conversation with Nicole M. Brown

Intimate Conversation with Nicole M. Brown

Nicole M. Brown, MSN, RN
, is a nurse educator, who teaches nursing at a HBCU in Central VA. She has worked as a nurse for over 20 years in various specialties from Emergency Room to long–term care. She is also, a Doctoral candidate with Walden University and an Army veteran, who served in Operation Desert Storm. She is the proud mother of three and happily divorce. She is dedicated to providing positive images of the nursing profession for children and the world through her books.


BPM: Tell us about your journey becoming a successfully published author. Do you have anyone in your life that was heavily influential in your deciding to become an author?
The Journey to become a successful author is not easy, there are many long hours, no pay and it is very expensive up front. I have always dreamed of becoming an author. To help make this dream come true, I had to make some changes in my life. I have downsized and live with family to afford to publish my work. After publishing, the goal is to be a successful author and tell people about my book via various methods. As a self-published author you have to become an expert or hire experts in social media, blogging and your website. You have to be consistent in your quest to become a successful author. I am in the book business for the long haul and plan to continue for the next 3 to 5 years.

My children have heavily influenced me to become an author. I want to leave my children and grandchildren to come, with wisdom and knowledge of what I have done during my lifetime. I plan to write more books to explain issues to my children in the future. I want to leave a legacy, which will last after, I am gone.


BPM: How did you initially break into the publishing industry? What road did you travel? How do you feel about self-publishing?
I was afraid of being rejected, so I pursued self-publishing. I wanted to be in control of my words and pictures in my book. Maybe, one day a large publisher will approach me to do a traditional book.


BPM: What is your definition of success?

I want to be happy with what I have done over my lifetime. Success means setting, implementing and accomplishing lifelong goals. Success feels good.


BPM: Success leaves clues, whose clues did you follow on your journey?
I go by my feelings with my work. I want to feel comfort and calmness in my spirit with my writing. This will mean success to me.

BPM: What books or authors made a difference in your life?
The Millionaire Next Door, it is about how an average person can become a millionaire over a lifetime with some simple basic good decisions.


BPM: How has your writing style evolved over the years?
What stimulated your growth the most? My writing style has shifted to respond to question my children ask me. I wan to leave something in writing to solve issues they may have now or encounter in the future. My children have stimulated my growth the most.


BPM: What have you realized about yourself since becoming a published author?
I feel now I can do anything, I put my mine to. This has been an amazing and overwhelming experience. I have experienced highs and lows during authorship. Most people support your work and then there are others who do not.


BPM: What are some of the benefits of being an author that makes it all worthwhile?
I love attending conferences and events focused on authors and book clubs. I feel like a celebrity at times. I have accomplished sometime, many people only dream of.


BPM: Do you have any advice for people seeking to publish a book?
Offer to be an intern with an author. Attend and volunteer at book events to understand the business of writing a book. Remember writing a book is a business , so take business classes.


BPM: If you were not a writer, what would you be? What are you passionate about, besides writing books?

I would continue to teach nursing. I have been a nurse for 20 years. Also, I will start my not-for-profit called, “Future Nurse.” I will have a scholarship for books and sponsor international mission trips to Haiti and Africa. In addition, I am weeks away from completing my Doctorate in Nursing. I have to get really to be called. Dr. Nicole Brown!!!


BPM: Introduce us to your book and the main characters. Do you have any favorites? What genre is the book? On Kindle or Nook? 

The Adventures of Nurse Nicole-N is for Nurse is my first book. The main characters are myself as Nurse Nicole and my three children Nathaniel, Nicolas and Nicola. No, I do not have any favorites. All of the characters are needs to make the story a success. This is a non-fiction book. Available in paperback on Amzaon and Kindle for ebook. The Adventures of Nurse Nicole –Wash Your Hands is my second book, which will be out soon. The same as above!!


BPM: What compelled or inspired you to write this book? Why now? Ever experience writers block?

I was inspired by my children. My children would ask me, what did I do at work every day? I went to Walmart and Target to find something to explain nursing. Currently, there is nothing on the market that nurses can buy for their children to explain the profession of nursing. What I really wanted was s doll or video to show my kids. During my research, I found out I could not afford to start with a doll or video. So, I began my company with books to explain nursing go children. I thought a book would be affordable and easy to do. Books are a world of their own. I want to write books now that grow with my children. I plan to write a step by step guide on, “How to become a Nurse.” I have not had writers block yet!!


BPM: Are any scenes from the book borrowed from your world or your experiences?
Yes, each scene in the book I have experience as a nurse. I worked with the illustrator on each and every picture for my books.


BPM: Who do you want to reach with your book and the message enclosed?
The audience for my books are moms, dads, grandparents, families, nurses and anyone who would like to expose their child to a career for the future.


BPM: What should readers DO after reading this book?
They should go to the website sign up for my newsletter and click on my Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest accounts to follow me. They should read my next book, “Wash Your Hands, which is coming out soon. I plan to publish my doctoral project and How to Become a Nurse in 2014.


BPM: How do you avoid the temptation of interjecting your own morals or ministry in your writing?
With my writing, I follow the standards of what a nurse would do. I had to educate my illustrator on appropriate issues a nurse can and cannot do. I want my work to be respected and accurate of the nursing profession.


BPM: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I would like families to start to encourage children of the profession of nursing. Most of my student are second career students and in their forties. I would like to see more young people pursue nursing as the first career.


BPM: Now, let’s talk about the industry. Will the digital age or social media usage change the face of publishing?

Yes, I love my social media forums. I have had my FB author site up and within 32 days had 500 likes. I am so excited. I enjoy receiving the feedback on my FB account.


BPM: How do feel about selling digital books vs. selling in a brick and mortar store? What impact do you think electronic book sales will have on black authors? On indie authors? 

I wish I had started with my ebook first. I enjoy using social media for my books sales. I believe as an author I have to be available for brick and mortar stores. I think people will buy more from the ebooks format overtime.


BPM: What has been your most difficult hurdle to leap? Marketing, promotions or gaining media exposure, etc. How can EDC Creations and our readers help you?

The biggest hurdle is getting website up and starting the social media. Realizing that everyone does not or will not like my book. I have been told my book is not ethnic enough due to AA on the cover. My first 2 books have only AA on the cover. My next 2 children's books will have a diverse cover. I would like your readers to like my sites, promote my book to others and buy my book and add great reviews to the Amazon site. ,

BPM: How much does “word of mouth” has play into the success of your book? What grassroots strategies have you used to spread the word about your book?
I think word of mouth is good. I talk to people about my book all the time. The grass roots strategy is to sell to family and friends. But the social media is better and faster.


BPM: A Legacy is something that is handed down from one period of time to another period of time. Finish this sentence- “My writing offers the following legacy to future readers... ”
My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...educating the world through the art and science of nursing.


BPM: Share with us your latest news. How may our readers follow you online? 
They should read my next book, “Wash Your Hands, which is coming out soon. I plan to publish my doctoral project and How to Become a Nurse in 2014. On my website please click on FB, Twitter and Pinterest.