Voices of Thanksgiving: author Lutishia Lovely

Voices of Thanksgiving AND Gratitude
Lutishia Lovely


 Lutishia Lovely grew up in a small Kansan town, and often had to rely on her own creativity and imagination for entertainment. Her childhood habit of long conversations with imaginary friends and fantasies of traveling the world have evolved into a satisfying career that allows her to indulge her passion for spontaneous jet-setting to parts unknown. She’s visited forty states and more than a dozen countries.

Since childhood, she’s also had a deep-seated belief that dreams can come true. This is what gave her the courage to take her self-published novel to a conference attended by 25,000 people, give one book to one editor, and get a book deal. She says that magic can only happen, when we believe…

What was your most memorable holiday from the past?
My favorite holiday memory is from when I was eight years old. Christmas was coming, yet on Christmas Eve, there were only two or three presents under the tree, and none of them had my name on them! I was VERY concerned, and shared this anxiety with my mother. "Well, maybe Santa won't come this year," she said. "You'll just have to go to bed and see what happens." I tossed and turned, but sleep finally came. Seconds after opening my eyes the next morning, I threw back the covers and flew into the living room! Presents abounded under the Christmas tree! "He came! Santa came!" I shouted to my parents. I was soooo excited! My parents beamed, as my joy became theirs.

I don't even remember what I got that Christmas, and I think it was the following year that I found out that Santa Claus's real name was Mama and Daddy. But that for one Christmas, I believed that anything was possible, and that a total stranger thought enough of me to drop off gifts at my house. It remains my favorite holiday memory. And I still believe... 

How do you celebrate the holidays? 
What are the "traditions" for your family? For the past several holidays, I've begun making my own traditions. One of them is to give gifts to the homeless on Christmas morning, instead of receiving. Myself and a couple friends buy essentials and treats: socks, underwear, toiletries, etc., and also candy, toys and BOOKS, wrap them, load up the car, don a Santa hat, and drive around the streets of Los Angeles looking for people living on the street.

We don't go to organized places such as Salvation Army, rescue missions, etc. We find people sleeping on the street, tap them on their blanket, and when they come out from under the covers blinking away sleep, we smile, hold out the gift and say "Merry Christmas."   I can't tell you how special these people feel, and how much joy I've gotten from this inexpensive act. They've been some of the best Christmases of my life.

What are you most thankful for today? 
To be who I am, an awake, aware human being, and a published author! What message does all your books have in common? That Spirit is Love, and that while my books are about the drama in romantic relationships, our relationship with Spirit, and to who we really are, is the most important one of all. The miracle you're looking for is in your mirror. Website: http://www.lutishialovely.com/