Unwrapped: Fireflies by Joan Early

Intimate Conversation with author Joan Early

Joan Early became an avid reader at an early age and began her writing career with a first place win in Ebony Magazine's literary contest. She became a member of the Genesis Press family with a January 2009 release, Look Both Ways, followed by her latest book, Fireflies.


Introducing Fireflies by Joan Early
Fireflies is the story of lasting friendships, strong family connections, and finding love in the most unexpected places. The story is set in post-Katrina New Orleans and contains factual accounts of life in this intriguing city, both before and after the destruction. Fireflies illustrates the many paths our hearts can take in finding that perfect match. It mixes deep passion with mystery, danger, the music and magic, as well as the shady side of one of the greatest cities in the world.

Tell us about your main characters. Who was your favorite? Why?
The main characters in Fireflies are Whitney Underwood, a prosecutor with the New Orleans DA's office, her childhood friend, Kyle, and Leander Perry, a musician who steals her heart. Whitney is my favorite because she a strong, confident career woman with a deep love for family.

Are your characters from a portrayal of real people?
The characters are purely fictional, but Whitney is a composite of the things I most admire and hope to achieve.

What issue, person or thing inspired you to write this story?
First was my love for a city that created many happy memories in my life. New Orleans has a rich cultural history that offers tremendous excitement and inspires romance. The character of Whitney Underwood was inspired by my unrealized dream of working with the district attorney's office.

Do you write full time? Describe your writing schedule for our readers.
I wrote full time for the last seven years, but recently became active in real estate in my north Houston community of Kingwood. I write whenever I get a strong idea. I've never had an exact schedule. Thoughts and ideas sometimes pop into my head in the middle of the night. When this happens, I often spend the entire morning at the keyboard, still in my pajamas.

What do you do when you're not writing?
I like preparing meals for my family and spending quiet time with my husband.

What is the best piece of advice you would give to an aspiring author?
Believe in your work, even when you have enough rejects to cover your bedroom walls.

Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
I am very excited about each of my books and really looking forward to the release of my next book, Oak Bluffs, which is set in historic Martha's Vineyard where African Americans and Native Americans have always had a strong presence. In addition to book stores, my books can be found at Amazon.com and Genesis Press.com.  My website, http://www.joanearly.com/, contains a list of my books and upcoming appearances, as well as my email address. I welcome and appreciate comments and suggestions from our readers, and thank them for their continued support.


Please share this discussion with your network too! Leave your thoughts below.
Return to Black Pearls Magazine Online