Fruits of Christian Writing by Shelia E. Lipsey

Fruits of Christian Writing
To All the Christian Writers, Poets, Speakers and Authors
by Shelia E. Lipsey

1) Be Filled
I believe since we are Christians, and if God has indeed truly blessed us with the talent of writing, or being authors, then we must be filled in our spirit, our mind, our thoughts, and our actions with the presence of the spirit of God. We do have some Christians who are writers/authors but there is no evidence of their faith and acceptance of Jesus as their Lord and Savior when you read their works. It’s easy to get caught up in the world and its trappings. Just look around.

We see everyday the grandeur and success of actors and actresses and speakers and writers, who profess to be one of us but it isn’t evident in the things they do with their talents. I really am not the one to say that they are not, because each of us fall short of the mark, we are all sinners, it’s just that the Christian is saved by Grace. But this further upholds my belief that in everything we do, it should lead back to Christ. In everything we write, God should be seen in it.

With my first inspirational novel, entitled Always, Now and Forever, I was told over and over again that if I added some raw sex and profanity throughout then I would be sure to have a bestseller! I would probably be touring the United States as I speak. But I’m not. I’m not going to tell you that I didn’t contemplate what I was being told, but I knew that I just couldn’t go this route. I had to write in the manner in which God led and leads me to write.

I am filled with God’s presence in my life and I want to always seek and obey His will and His way in my life. Would I like to make lots of money? Sure I would? Would I like to achieve financial gain and wealth from my writing? Sure I would. The fact is that it is more than possible for me to achieve earthly treasures while carrying out the will of God. But these earthly treasures are not my priority. My priority is to allow God to speak to me and through me whether I am speaking before audiences or whether I’m sitting down working on my next novel. I desire to store up eternal treasures. I desire to travel the roads that God has for me. I don’t know always know where the roads lead, but I know that God will not lead be astray. He is the giver of every good and perfect gift. So I can rest assured that as He continually fills me, he continually blesses me and opens up doors for me and closes the doors that are not for me. So remember, “Be Filled.” Next:

2) Be Faithful
Don’t be swayed to give in or give up. If you have truly been given this talent, then use it. You can only call yourself a writer if you’re writing. If you’re going to become a Christian author, you must start out as a Christian writer. I have come to believe that there is no such thing as a person who says, “I want to be a writer” but then he/she is not. All I have to say to that person is “write.” Whatever God has blessed us with, whether big or small, we should remain faithful to that calling.

I have often said that I write to share with others. I write because God has seen fit to bless me with this talent. I write as a means of sharing my innermost thoughts, the faithfulness of God, and the desires of my heart with others. I remain faithful to this calling. Being faithful like being focused doesn’t’ require that you write everyday. You will hear many authors or writers tell you that you should write something every single day. I don’t fall into this category. There are times that I write everyday, but it’s only when the Holy Spirit tells me to do so. I have gone weeks without writing per se, and then the Holy Spirit speaks to me and tells me “its time.” He is telling me, Shelia, my servant, my speechwriter, I have something I want to say and then my fingers, my thoughts, and my thinking process goes into drive.

I am faithful about doing what God wants me to do, however He wants me to do it and at the level He wants me to do. I believe I touch a lot of people because of my writing. God tells us that the just shall live by faith. He reminds me that His word does not come back void. And because I am His child, then what I write touches people’s lives and changes people in the manner in which He sees fit.

3) Be Focused
Writing takes time. Good writing takes lots of time. You must study your craft. You must read your craft. You must pray about your craft. What kind of writer are you? What are you seeking in your writing? Are you writing as a hobby, a source of relaxing? Maybe you are writing to share your thoughts, your feelings, and your dreams with other people. You must know why you write or why you are desirous of becoming a writer. Then you must focus on the gift you have been given. Use your talents and your time to edify God.

4) Be Fearless
We must be fearless in our pursuit. We must not allow the enemy to instill a sense of failure and doubt within us. I know that we will face moments of uncertainty, especially when we are trying to get our works published and placed on bookshelves throughout the country. I know that I have allowed fear and doubt to creep into my life many times, and not just when it comes to my writing.

Yet, each time Lucifer places His negative thoughts into my mind, thanks be to God He does not allow me to be destroyed. There have been periods of failure I have faced, but God always picks me back up, bestows his glory on me and lifts up my head. He tells me to dust myself off and keep on with the journey of life. He reminds me that He alone is sovereign and that I have no need to fear. 2 Corinthians 4 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. We must keep running the race that is set before us by the hand of God. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but he has given us power and a sound mind.

Isaiah 11:1-3 The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him-- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD

When you write, Be Filled, Be Faithful, Be Focused and Be Fearful!
Shelia E. Lipsey
is an award winning Christian fiction author of five books, a copyeditor, literary expert and inspirational speaker. She resides in Memphis, Tennessee with her son and two Siamese cats. Shelia is also the founder and Executive Director of Living Your Dreams Now Foundation, a non-profit organization that helps others learn how to identify, capture and live their dreams now! http://www.shelialipsey.com/, http://www.livingyourdreamsnow.net/




Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag