Meet Charles H. Carter

Meet Charles H. Carter


Ella: Charles, finish this sentence, I am powerful because...

I am powerful because I have a functioning brain that is utilized on a daily bases. With the assistance of the largest organ in my body, I can form ideas and implement the final process, normally with positive results.



Ella: Albert Einstein stated, "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Was there ever a point in your career, when how your life didn't match the theory? And how did you change the facts?
Albert Einstein also said, "Imagination is more important than knowledge.", and, "Not everything that counts can be counted; and not everything that can be counted counts." But most importantly, he said, "The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible."

As during the course of my life, there are still presently periods of minutes, hours, days, and sometimes weeks when life as we know it is not as it should be. I don't believe that this is a fact that will ever change, but as long as we understand that change is normal and utilize our brains to adjust to its ever moving circumstances, it is inevitable that we move forward towards positive minutes, that turn into hours and weeks, etc..

"Love can suck, life is dark and bright at the same time, death can be a relief, down can sometimes be up ~ as up can sometimes be down, light doesn't always brighten, leaving doesn't mean gone, open does not mean free to enter, wet doesn't necessarily have to refer to any form of liquid, truth can be deceitful, justice a thief, glory an insult, soft can be hard enough, music may not be musical, the end doesn't have to be final, and ~ it's all subject to change."
- Charles H. Carter


Intimate Conversation with Charles H. Carter and Ella Curry of EDC Creations

Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I am from a time period in Baltimore City when men meant what they said and said what they meant. This time period was also stained with pride and principles. We (men) didn't need a reason to stand, we just stood because it is the manner in which a man carries himself, and one naturally traveled this way, not bent over or dragging himself around.

The time period in which I came to be was also surrounded by injustices that were tossed in ones face daily. A man had three choices, use his gas and electric bill money to hire an attorney, ignore the injustices, or address the injustices yourself. Addressing the injustices yourself means that one may have to meet in an alley, a courtroom, or behind a podium. I have always opted to address injustices myself and in order to keep facts together notes were kept, notes that were organized, notes that were bounded to keep organized, notes that were bounded for years and turned into volumes. Notes that turned into ~ at present ~ seven books.



Ella: Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
In all seven (7) of my books, be they fictional or non-fictional, my children and I are always the models used to create main characters. What I like about this is that I love having the ability to honestly view my family and myself and document us moving into positive situations, under positive lights, especially since the starting point on so many occasions was somewhere in the dark. This is what makes situations notable and noteworthy



Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader to pick it up?
Shorts For All Seasons 2008, is a fictional book containing short stories. On the cover is a picture of an exceptional good look young man. Next to his picture is a picture of an exceptionally good looking young woman. Over top of the mans picture is the word ‘Before'. Over top the women's picture is the word ‘After'. Curiosity causes one to believe that it is almost impossible for this great looking man to have been changed to this woman and then be just as great looking.



Ella: Ultimately, what do you want your readers to gain from your book?
The previous two well received books, Brain Food and Brain Food Two, have been described as follows: The material in this book ~ Pros, Anecdotes and Poems ~ has no scientific foundation, it offers no mathematical certainties, there is no insight on how to save the whales, the ozone layer, and not a hint as to how to live and love.

This book contains opinions based on experiences, observations, wishes, and beliefs on almost every daily topic. Readers will find themselves laughing at the humor and possibly shedding a few tears while affirming this as profound, insightful, and uplifting material, which is a must read.
Simply put, my goal with any material written is to ignite the thought process. One does not have to think like me, just think.

Law To The Order (Excerpts From Jail) Non-fictional -- Never incarcerated before, then incarcerated for six months, denied bail, given charges that carry penalties of eight life sentences plus three hundred years, deliberate misconducted investigations, new education, experience, and subsequent release without a trial ~ charges dropped. I equate this situation with one that happened many, many years ago, where men, women and children were stripped of all of their human rights, taken by force away from their homelands and onto boats filled with despair, hate, violence and suffering. These people, after spending months on these boats were dropped off in the ‘Americas', a world and life of slavery. No names were changed to protect the innocent, because there was only one, and he doesn't mind his name being known.


Brain Food 2008 (Unpublished) -- What we think defines how and when we move. In the darkest recesses of our minds, thoughts take root and grow, eventually sending us in the direction we travel. Brain Food 2008, initiates the rooting process that ultimately gives birth to hundreds of thoughts with topics that range from masturbation to presidential acts. The message in this book is clear: Thoughts geared towards igniting the thought process."Come on in and exercise that brain."


Don't View Until After My Demise: Revisited -- This book is the continuation of the book ~ Don't View Until After My Demise ~ that chronicles the authors life as a boy ~ coming of age, a teenager, drug abuser, police officer, a father and more importantly, as a man with principles that experience has taught him to hold on to. Readers will find countless tales of courage and intriguing events that reflect the many inequalities of our society as well as the lack of justice for those who badly need it. The message in this book is clear: it is difficult for a human to be legal in a system that is fueled by illegalities.

Again, simply put, my goal with any material written is to ignite the thought process.



Ella: What is the one most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
One can build worlds with a tool as simple as a ink pen.


Ella: What would you say has been the most significant achievement as a writer? How did you do it?
My most significant achievement as a writer is to still be alive and able to document a life overflowing with trials and tribulations. How did I manage to accomplish staying alive is a fact that even I can't figure out to this day.


Ella: What advise would you give a new writer?
I don't believe that there are ‘new writers', writing is how you are, not what you do. We write because we have to, it is a part of our DNA. From the time you learn to put the pen to paper up until the time you can no longer write, writers write. My advise for any writer is to keep that note pad close and ink pen at the ready, because there is no telling when life or ideas need documenting and you don't want to lose the thought.

The only thing that I'd change about my journey is, I wish I had carried my note pad and pen with me earlier and more often.



Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
I don't have a clue as to what can be expected from me in the future, there is to much time in front of me and I have to allow room for change ~ change is inevitable.. I hope the future brings book, after book, after book. Two books I just completed: (Both Unpublished)


Books by Charles H. Carter:
Don't View Until After My Demise: Revisited
Don't View Until After My Demise
Shorts For All Seasons
Shorts For All Seasons 2008
Brain Food
Brain Food Two
Cocky




Email Charles H. Carter: Charlescarterb@aol.com