Christianity Doesn't Make Sense by Jewell R. Powell

Christianity Doesn't Make Sense

Lately, God has been really talking to me and teaching me about this Christian walk. What I've realize is that Christianity doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense because He always has us doing the opposite of what is normal or right in our minds.


But remember, The Lord says in Isaiah 55:8-9, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways', declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." I now understand why His disciples and the Pharisees couldn't understand what He was teaching. It doesn't make sense.

For example,

1. Tithing 10%, doesn't make sense because I need it to pay bills (Mal 3:10)


2. Forgiving 70 times 7, even if it is the same person doesn't make sense. Why? If they are going to keep doing the same things over again why continue to forgive? (Matt 7:21-22)

3. Submiting to my husband. Why should I when he is not even acting right? (Eph 5:22)

4. Loving my wife as Christ loves the church. Are you serious? She has a bad attitude (Eph 5:25)

5. Loving and blessing those who hate me and do me wrong. Are you kidding? (Matt 5:44 & Rom 12:14)

6. If someone slaps me, I can't hit them back. I am to offer the other cheek (Matt 5:39) [Help me Lord!]


So why are we required to do these things and more? We do it because everything we do, we do as unto the Lord and not to man. It is our way of honoring God and allowing His word to transform us. What doesn't make sense to us naturally-through our five senses: sight, hearing, taste, feel, and smell; makes sense to our 6th sense (the Holy Spirit, God in us). It is when we do what our 6th sense (God) is telling us to do that we become mature in Christ and we are blessed in our obedience. Christianity is not a religion; it is a way of life. That is why we walk it and talk it by faith, which is God's way. This is how we please God.

Again, it may not make sense to you but, DO IT! For example, Naaman was told to dip 7 times in the dirty Jordan River to be healed (2nd Kings 5:1-14); Joshua and the Israelites where told to march around the wall seven times, blow a trumpet and shout (Joshua 6:1-17); and Simon Peter was fishing all night and Jesus told him to drop his net in the water (Luke 5:1-11). Read the full story of each, and you will realize that it did not make sense to them but in their obedience, they were blessed.

"But don't just listen to God's word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don't obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don't forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it." (James 1:22-25 NLT)Therefore, this Christmas season let's be like Simon Peter who said in Luke 5:5, "Nevertheless at thy word I will..."May God do exceedingly and abundantly above all you can ask or think in 2009.

by Jewell R. Powell © All rights reserved.

---------

Jewell R. Powell is a marriage coach, entrepreneur, inspirational teacher, and author with a heart and passion for helping couples have great marriages and helping women live purposeful lives. For more information on marriage enrichment and/or premarital classes, call 301-743-5654 or email Jewell at jewell@marriage101.us


* Originally posted in the December edition of the, 'Happily Ever After' Newsletter by Jewell R. Powell.