Meet Author Che Parker

Intimate Conversation Che Parker



Born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri, Author Che Parker has a passion for the story behind the story. What we see on the surface may not always be as we perceive it to be. In his first novel, The Tragic Flaw, Che Parker unravels the dark truths behind the collages of life and the mysteries of the underworld in a powerful tale.

Che Parker attended college at Grambling State University in Grambling, LA and later graduated from the University of Missouri – Kansas City, with a Bachelor’s in Arts degree in Communications Studies.


He began his professional writing career as a newspaper reporter for The Call Newspaper covering local crime and politics in both Kansas and Missouri. He later moved to Washington, DC, as a staff writer covering national healthcare issues and Capitol Hill hearings for the American Hospital Association.


Che is currently pursuing his Master’s degree in Writing at Johns Hopkins University. He is a member of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Incorporated and resides in Alexandria, VA with his family where he works in Public Relations and Marketing.


Intimate Conversation with Che Parker and Ella Curry of EDC Creations

Ella: Che, finish this sentence: I am Powerful because...
I am Powerful because... I've been blessed with a God given talent to create stories with words. These stories can be insightful, funny, scary, and most important of all, influential.


Ella: What was childhood like in MO? How did you start your writer's journey?
I'm was born and raised in Kansas City, MO. Growing up I witnessed a lot of troubling events, like many kids in the inner city do. I was fortunate enough to have a loving and supportive family who wanted to see me do well, so I was able to attend good schools, but I never forgot my roots. My family and friends were never the richest people, but the love and support they offered me was and continues to be what gets me through the day. I always enjoyed writing and I've been fortunate enough to have people around me who want the best for me. That can make all the difference.


Ella: Che, tell us about your new book The Tragic Flaw
Following in his Italian father's gangster footsteps, the bi-racial Cicero Day has little problem rising to the top of the Kansas City underworld. He and his comrades deal with their enemies with all manner of weaponry: guns, knives, poison, trained beasts and even HIV.

Yet, Cicero is haunted by recurring nightmares, and bothered with his mother's steadfast belief in God. Cicero, who is an atheist, feels there's no place for myths in a man's life who is trying to ascend to power. While he is the master of his domain and even viewed as a hero to some, there is an unseen kink in his seemingly impregnable armor.


Ella: Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
In my second novel, The Precious Life, the two main characters are Joshua and Kathryn Lyon. I like them because they're ordinary people. A lot of books of have the rich handsome guy and the sexy, beautiful woman. Joshua and Kathryn are neither. It was interesting writing from their perspective because nothing was glamorous, and everything was hard.


Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
First off, I think I have an amazing cover. It's very subtle, but I think it's powerfully suggestive. I think subtlety deserves a second look these days.


Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
Read, read and read some more. I think by reading diverse fiction writers from around the world a writer can learn new ideas and develop new approaches to material. And let people read your work. Most will probably offer good ideas. Use what you can. But always stay true to the story you want to tell. I wouldn't change anything about my journey. Everything is a learning experience. Soak up what you can and keep moving.


Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
Deeper stories, new narratives, and more profound meaning.


Contact Che Parker
Che Parker author of "The Tragic Flaw" and "The Precious Life"
Website: http://www.cheparker.com/