Intimate Conversation with author Shelia M. Goss

Intimate Conversation with author Shelia M. Goss

Shelia M. Goss’ journey into the literary world began several years ago. She’s received recognition in Writer’s Digest and The New York Times. Her books have been on bestsellers lists such as the Dallas Morning News, Essence Magazine, and Black Expressions Book Club.

My Invisible Husband, Roses are thorns (Violets are true), Paige’s Web, and Double Platinum are published under Kensington Books Urban Soul imprint. Be on the lookout for two new books in 2009 from Shelia – His Invisible Wife (July 2009) and her first teen book, The Ultimate Test (June 2009). For additional information, visit her website: http://www.sheliagoss.com/.


Shelia's new release is Double Platinum. Genre: Women’s Fiction
Double Platinum
was written to celebrate my love for R & B music. Besides books, music is my passion. Over the past several years I've gotten a chance to interview multi-platinum music artists (Mary J Blige, Brian McKnight, Ne-Yo , India Aire, etc) in various genres and talk to people behind the scenes of the music industry. When I got ready to write the book, I just pulled from that experience. The book is about R & B megastar Parris Mitchell. To the world, it seems like she has it all. But with a declining career, she has nothing left but disappointed fans and growing depression. Hit maker and playboy Casper "CJ The Hit maker" Johnson is looking for a new sound. He needs her voice. She needs her career back. Their drama from groupies and people from their pasts becomes the source of plenty of print for the paparazzi.

Ella Curry of EDC Creations sits down with a one-on-one with Shelia M. Goss


Ella: Shelia, finish this sentence- I am Powerful because...
I am Powerful because...of who made me. God’s love is enough to sustain and empower me on this life’s journey.


Ella: Albert Einstein states, "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Was there ever a point in your career, when your life didn't match the theory?
Yes. There have been several points. I'll focus on when I first decided to pursue a career in publishing. I was used to excelling at whatever I set out to do and wasn't used to being rejected. I recall receiving rejection letters. I almost gave up, but there was something within me that wouldn't let me. I knew this was what I destined to do, so I kept moving forward in spite of the rejections.


Ella: And how did you change the facts?
The rejection I received actually propelled me into a mode of learning more and more about writing, the publishing business, etc. In fact, I can say the rejections fueled the desire within me to be a writer and moved me closer towards my goals.

Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I am from Louisiana – home of good food and good people J I'm also an alumni of Southern University.

I've been writing since I was 9 years old. When I was in elementary school, my teachers submitted my poems to Seedlings. In school, I've been on the yearbook staff, newspaper, etc. I decided to pursue writing as a career back in 1997. My first book outside of school was actually a collection of poems. It was called Embraced by Love – The Relationship. My very first customer was Luther Small. He was a co-worker of mine at the time.

Ella: Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
Parris Mitchell represents the woman scorned. She gave her heart and soul to a man, only to find herself on the losing end of a disastrous relationship. The only difference is her tragedy is displayed in front of the world. She has to fight to regain her self-respect as well as boost her failing career. I like the fact that she doesn't give up.

Casper "CJ The Hit maker" Johnson is totally opposite from what people would think for a man in that role. Once readers get to know him, they will see that it was all smokes and mirrors. Underneath the hype, he is a very caring and compassionate man. He’s not afraid to stand for what’s right and will do anything for the people he loves.

Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
If you want to be a writer, write. You'll never have enough time to write, so carve out time and stick to it. Believe in yourself and don't let the rejections discourage you.

Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
In 2009, I will have two books released.

June 2009 – The Ultimate Test: The Lip Gloss Chronicles will be my first young adult novel. It follows the life of three Dallas suburban teenagers as they deal with being in a new high school, boys, growing up, etc. I'm real excited about writing in the young adult genre. To read a review, go to www.sheliagoss.com/teens

July 2009 – My fifth women’s fiction novel – His Invisible Wife will hit stores. Those who have read my first novel – My Invisible Husband, will be happy to know (although not a sequel), a few characters from that book will make an appearance in His Invisible Wife.


Contact Information for Shelia M. Goss
Email: sheliagoss@aol.com
Website: http://www.sheliagoss.com/