Intimate Conversation with Patricia A. Saunders

Intimate Conversation with Patricia A. Saunders

Self-published author, Patricia A. Saunders was born and raised in Connecticut before relocating to the San Francisco Bay Area nearly 20 years ago. She received her Master’s in Management from the University of Phoenix in 2011. After the passing of her mother who had Alzheimer’s, Patricia decided that all the words that she kept to herself were to be released.

She released her first self-published book Through the Fire (March 2012) which covered situations, circumstances, and life lessons that have influenced her over her lifetime. Last year, the book was featured on a Coast to Coast Book Tour at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, Tucson Book Festival, Miami International Festival of Books and AARP Life@50+ Spring Convention.

Her work has been featured on In the Company of Poet, Women Owned Business Club Magazine, and Alysha Live! Radio Show and Coach Deb Bailey Secret of Success Talk Radio. She performs locally at spoken word events and Capital Jazz SuperCruise Open Mic with Grammy Award Winner Eric Roberson. She is a monthly guest blogger contributor to Author House Author’s Digest Blog. As well as writing her own blog Blessed & Curvy.

On a mission to complete a book a year she released her second book Loving Me (2013) and third Let It Rain (2014) which is also self-published and covers various topics from love, grief, self image, self esteem, bullying, and discovery of self love. Her latest book (2016) This Too Shall Pass was released by AuthorHouse Publishing.

She works as a supervisor for a corporate financial organization. In her spare time, Patricia enjoys writing poetry, traveling, spending time with family and wine tasting. Her books are available at your local book retailers, at www.patriciaasaunders.com, www.amazon.com and www.barnesandnoble.com

BPM: How did you get to be where you are in your life today? By the faith of God because there has been challenges. Who or what motivated you? 
My parents motivated me by understanding that no one can take from you what you don’t give them. When I was going through all of my storms in life I was reminded of my faith.

BPM: Who does your body of literary work speak to? 
It speaks to those who have loved and been wrong, it speaks to those grieving and those who have thought about giving up.

BPM: Do you consider authors as role models? 
No, I think an author is someone who sheds light on various topics and people can take from it to make decisions.

BPM: What inspired you to sit down and actually start writing this book?
I always wrote poetry as a kid but as an adult when my Mother first was diagnosed with dementia it made me think what if I get the disease what about my words.  Why now? Once she passed and had Alzheimer’s my pledge was to write until the pen stopped.

BPM: What did you enjoy most about writing this book? 
Re-living memories of my past that were filled with laughs, good times, and sharing with focus groups.

BPM: Where do your book ideas come from? 
My books are birthed out of experiences, media, and anything that strikes me. This Too Shall Pass is poetry and some of the pieces are autobiographical. Why? It was easier to release my feelings.

BPM: Could you tell us something about your most recent work?
I went through a deep depression in 2007 and three women sent me words of encouragement to hang on. I saved those notes and it inspired me to write “This Too Shall Pass” because I came through those storms. This book is now available on Nook and Kindle.

BPM: Give us some insight into your main characters. What makes each one so special? 
When reading the book you can’t put it down because the emotion it takes you through. There is poetry about being in a toxic relationship, growing older, death, and faith. You want to turn the page and either relate to the situation or gather some encouragement yourself to make it through.

BPM: Are there under-represented groups or ideas featured in your book?
My mother was an ordained minister so I can’t help but write about faith yet there is struggles that I faced that I questioned God.

BPM: How does your book relate to your present situation or journey? 
My book of poetry talks about adultery, Christianity, suicide, and more. A person young or old would be able to relate.

BPM: Did you learn anything personal from writing your book? 
I learned that I made it through those storms that I thought would kill me. I learned that when I sat down to write the book so many words flowed that I didn’t expect.

BPM: Can you share some stories about people you met while researching this book? 
I love my Saturday Morning Hair Salon Divas. We talk about everything and they helped me work through the pieces when telling about experiences.

BPM: What were your goals and intentions in this book, and how well do you feel you achieved them? 
I wanted to write a book that another person could pick up and though it was poetry making it simple so that they got the intent, complex to keep other’s attention, and not too preachy so that everyone would get the message.

BPM: What projects are you working on at the present? 
I am preparing to start working on the 5th book of poetry.

BPM: How can readers discover more about you and your work?
Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/blessedpoetpat
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorPoetPatricia
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6034696.Patricia_A_Saunders