Intimate Conversation with Charlie Marcol

Intimate Conversation with Charlie Marcol


Charlie Marcol
, was born and raised in the great state of Texas. She earned a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communications from the University of Houston, where she became a proud member of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Incorporated. She also earned a Master of Education Degree in Counseling from Texas Southern University. From the Florist to the Forest is her debut novel. Although she is new to the publishing world, her book is spreading like wild fire. 
She was featured on the Day Break morning show in Dallas instilling her motto to "Think Deep Before You Leap" into marriage. She enjoys reading, writing, traveling, and spending quality time with family. Charlie seeks to empower women through awareness, discussions and self-love. Charlie was recently featured in the March issue of Rebook discussing 'Happy At...' as a way to share ways to live within your means.


BPM: Tell us about your passion for writing. Why do you write? What drives you? What impact do you want your book to make on the readers?
Writing is very cathartic for me. It started when I was in elementary school as a daydreamer with pieces of paper and eventually I moved over to a diary. I found that I was able to share my inner most feelings that I could not express verbally. Writing has been a part of my healing process. Instead of internalizing the pain and self-doubt as a result of a failed marriage, I recognized an opportunity to share my personal journey. 
The things that motivate me is when I see I have inspired or helped someone else on their journey. That’s what life is about. Helping others see the “big picture.” I’d like to think of myself as a Titus woman. The whole goal of a Titus woman is to train younger women in a Biblical, simple-to-measure, Spirit-empowered, love-based living. They train others in the pattern they have learned. A Titus woman walk speaks louder than her talk. 
So, instead of choosing to take negative energy from the divorce I transformed it into a tool to help those struggling with the same issues. I want readers to walk away knowing that I am a survivor. I did not allow divorce to shake me or break my spirit. It may seem like you are a victim of your circumstance, but with God, time, prayer and a great support system you WILL become victorious. This book serves as my personal testimony of self-discovery and redemption.

BPM: Can you share a little of your current work with us? 
Compelling, Real, Essential, Riveting are just a few words to describe my latest project. From the Florist to the Forest is a modern girls guide and reference book while she is dating and waiting for her mate. Invitations, themes, cakes, floral design and bridal fashions have transcended the objective of the institution of marriage. While marriage rates are declining, divorce rates are escalating. This was cause for concern to me not only for the institution of marriage itself, but also the stability of families. Marriages are failing because people fail to prepare for matrimony. Everyone has their own vision of love, but there must be a willingness to communicate that vision.

I found out that a lack of communication leads to unrealistic expectations, which can cause the demise of a relationship. I wanted people to discover what they really needed to know and forget about superficial trappings that we get caught in. In the end, the flowers on your wedding day won't matter when happiness is but a dream deferred.

BPM: What was your primary quest in publishing this book?
This book was designed for the reader to search within to assess the reasons for desiring marriage. Is it the marriage you want or the wedding? I truly believe that people are marrying out of convenience and not for love. Tina Turner asked a question in her famous comeback song of 1984, "What's love got to do with it?” Love has everything to do with Marriage. 
Marriage is the first institution that God created and we are not giving it the respect and honor that it deserves. At one point, everyone around me was getting a divorce. Now, I was joining the ranks too. I hated that I was going to be another statistic so I decided to write a self-help book to share the real, the good and the truth about the marriage process.

BPM: Who did you write this book for? Why?

As women we sometimes mimic what we see. With the explosion of wedding reality TV shows within the last decade, the focus of getting married started to change. It was more about the latest trends and making grandiose statements. Brides opted for over-the-top high end weddings but had lackluster commitments. People were marrying for fantasies and not realities including myself. I too fell victim to the trend. My wedding was my dream but the marriage was a nightmare. This book is open to all; men and women married, single or engaged. Everyone can receive something from the knowledge that I share. There are so many factors that plague single women. Time, age, finances, and the biological clock. 
When writing From the Florist to the Forest, I was thinking about that woman because that woman was me. My prayer is that this book will give the reader insight to look deep before taking the leap. Look deep within yourself and your potential mate. Stop skimming the surface and get to know the real person, not the representation. In the long run it will save them heartache, trouble, money and even a failed marriage.

BPM: How do you stay on top of your game professionally?

Unfortunately, the reality of life is that it’s not what you know, but whoyou know. That means you should make networking and marketing a priority. Research and networking is vital to any success. Use social media for what it was intended for. Conferences are a great place to network and connect with experts in your field as well. I am a novice to this industry so it is important for me to make a good impression. Sometimes that’s the last. I look for opportunities to connect and be visible with individuals that will take an active interest in me and my brand. It helps that I have an excellent mentor too. She is my accountability partner keeping me abreast of what’s going on, encouraging me and offering advice and ideas.

BPM: How can one live authentic life, true to self, personally and professionally?

I try to remain true to myself in all facets of my life by staying grounded, wearing humility as my smile and not becoming pretentious. More importantly, I have a strong spirit of discernment to guide me before making hasty discussions. (The last time I completely ignored my spirit of discernment, I ended up in a miserable marriage.) In order for me to live an authentic life, I must keep genuine people around me in my circle that really love me and desire God’s best for my life. Naysayers, non-supporters and negativity are not welcomed.

BPM: How do you balance your personal life with your professional life?

God and prayer! He is my rock. I am reminded of the Apostle Paul who said, "Whatever state I am in, therefore will I be content." I may not make as much money as I would like, but honestly I am happy where God has me at this point. At the end of the day, none of frivolous things matter if you don't have balance and some peace of mind. I find happiness in the simple joys in life. My child's smile, a kind word spoken or given, Mexican food, a great work-out, waking up each day with my health and strength.

BPM: A Legacy is something that is handed down from one period of time to another period of time. Finish this sentence- My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...

Invest in your marriage, not your wedding. I truly believe there would be more successful marriages, if people would take the time to know themselves first before they seek to explore the mind of someone else. Don’t get caught up in the superficial things, eventually that will all fade away.




From the Florist to the Forest: Think Deep Before You Leap 
Non-fiction; Self-discovery and Self-help
Printed: http://www.amazon.com/Florist-Forest-Charlie-Marcol/dp/0692305203
E-books: http://www.amazon.com/From-Florist-Forest-Think-Before-ebook/dp/B00UXP213Q