A Broken Childhood - Lydia's Story by Dr. Taiwo

Does anyone really know what lies behind the mind of an abused child?

It may be that it will never be known. An innocent child may have been murdered before their story is heard or the child may have decided to join a gang to try and get the ‘love’ their parents never gave them.

Many, if not counseled appropriately, will end up becoming more violent and may even go on to kill other innocent people. Every day, I thank God that I am alive to tell my story because I know there is someone out there who needs to hear it.

Let’s start by asking ourselves a few questions...


Did you ever long to be hugged or kissed by your own mother as a child? And do you remember having her wash and comb your hair when you were little? Maybe you do. I don’t.

You cannot explain it or talk about it. It literally tears you apart inside, especially if you have friends experiencing such care and love from their parents.  In your heart you ask - “Why can’t my mother do the same for me?”

When I was very young, I lived with British foster parents until I was four and a half years old. I experienced love and care from them. I never knew who my real parents were until they took me away.   There was no explanation. How could I possibly have bonded with them as mum and dad immediately? How could I pick up the threads? I can’t imagine it, can you?

And then there was the abuse:

* Kicked to the head and left bleeding – I was rushed to King’s College Hospital London.
* Whipped with cable wire - I have all the scars to prove it all over my body from head to toe. My head is bald in some places as a result of the horrific injuries.
* Being thrown on the floor and ending up with broken front teeth that couldn’t grow back.

These were just a few of my experiences.  What would my life turn out to be?   I was a victim of abuse with low self-esteem, bitter and angry. There were times I became suicidal but someone up there kept me alive -  Yes, Almighty God who had wonderful plans in store for me. 

This is my life and my story.  It was hard, it was traumatic, but in the end I found myself able to forgive and move on in a positive way.  I hope parents, carers and guardians of children will learn and be encouraged by this. I also hope that both young and adult victims of abuse will find healing and the strength to forgive.

It is my sincere hope that no other child will be made to suffer the treatment that was meted out to me. I felt I had no one to turn to at the time, but help is available now. If you are a young person still going through any form of abuse, please get help.   Here is a page filled with help. Charities & Help-line Resources For Abuse Victims. Go here:  http://lydiataiwo.com/resources

Before I go on, I would like to hear your views. What would you have done? What could I have done differently? What have been your experiences?

Drop me a line...



Meet the Author
Dr. Lydia Ola Taiwo
is a Consultant Biomedical Healthcare Scientist with her own diagnostic centre in Kent. She is also a published author and public speaker speaking out against child abuse. She is an Ambassador for AFRUCA and works with Safeguarding Now Ltd and Safeguarding Black, Asian Minority Ethnic Group (BAME) London in raising awareness of child abuse (and using herself as a living case study). Dr Lydia Taiwo is married and has six children. Visit the authors website: www.lydiataiwo.com


Broken Childhood: A True Story of Abuse
http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Childhood-True-Story-Abuse/dp/1846245907


A Broken Childhood: Volume II: Forgiveness

http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Childhood-II-Forgiveness/dp/1846249031