Voices of Thanksgiving: author Kaution

Voices of Thanksgiving AND Gratitude
Kaution

The writer and artist doubly known as “Kaution” made her entry into the literary realm of Urban/Street literature with her first novel “Nothing Short of A Rainbow” a gay, urban fiction novel. Known for going one step further when spinning street tales of love, lies, deceit and heartache she brings with her own style of urban storytelling. With believable characters, real life drama and everyday issues, she writes to capture the realism of black lesbianism by giving it a distinct hallmark stamp of her unique style of urban fiction.

Kaution resides in Baltimore, Md. where she works, writes and play. The release of her first novel, “Nothing Short of A Rainbow” which follows the lives of a diverse group of lesbians who find themselves facing many issues found in the black, lesbian subculture. Her future book releases are: She, 360 Degrees of Difficulty, Don’t Wanna Be a Playa which will also feature poetry from her protégés “gHeTTo PhiLosoPheR” and “Verbally Beautiful” two up and coming talented writers in their own right are set to be release in 2010.  Website: http://www.kaution-online.com/



What was your most memorable holiday from the past? 
My most memorable holiday was my first Christmas with my daughter who was 12 at the time. I had begun getting her for six months gifts that I felt were meaningful and unique to her personality. On Christmas day I watched her opened so many gifts it took over two hours to unwrap. After she finally finished unwrapping her gifts she looked at me and said I didn’t have to get her so many things that the greatest gift she had was me just being there and that Christmas for her was every day. That meant a lot to me because I had stopped celebrating all holidays for about 15 years.

How do you celebrate the holidays?  What are the "traditions" for your family? 
My family is basically a “new” family; we have been together for close to four years so we are still establishing traditions. One thing we do as a family is cook both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner together as well as go spend a few hours with my parents. Decorating the tree is another big event we do. My daughter is now 14 and we are trying to tailor our traditions as a family to be meaningful so that she will take those hopefully with her when she has her own family.

What are you most thankful for today? What message does all your books have in common?
I am thankful for my family; I lost my dad a little over a year ago and I have begun to strengthen my relationship with my older brother and hold on to the hope that I can do the same with my younger sister when “she” is ready mentally and spiritually to let go of a lot of anger and hurt. I’ve gone throw a lot in my life; I never thought I would have a child to raise and enrich my life and now I do. My mom battled two types of cancer at once and she is still with us and doing well. Lastly, my own life is good.

The common thread each of my books share is the art of communication when it comes to love. I tend to pack drama into each chapter and show the elements of miscommunication and how the characters work to correct the problems that miscommunication tend to cause. I’m a firm believer in the concept that there is a solution to every problem—even if it’s not the solution you would necessarily want. My books work through miscommunications to find solutions. They end in maybe happy ever-afters or situations that are found through the art of communication to achieve their own solution. I think a lot of relationships in real life go sour because of miscommunication or poor communication between two people. Communicating may not save a relationship but it certainly will help preserve it.