Same Innocence by Shaun M. Mathis

Maurice Monroe is a gifted track star from Fayetteville North Carolina raised with a strong family background that has his goal set on running in the Olympics. Maurice wants to wait until marriage to loose his virginity but his choice is clashing with Lauren, his sexually charged girlfriend.

Sharice Wilson is also a gifted track star from California who’s running from her home life and a dark family secret, which has turned her off from men and sex. Sharice uses the track to escape her home life...When the two meet for the first time at the Penn Relays, two things happen. Sharice is attracted to a guy for the first time...and Maurice becomes love struck.

Eventually, the two embark on a meaningful relationship that is headed in one direction, marriage. Until Sharice finds out disturbing news surrounding her childhood, which sends her in a violent rage. But that is only the beginning.

Unbeknown to Maurice, his family has a secret of it's own. The secret is so massive that it has the potential to destroy the house that love has built. The lovebirds have more in common than music, sexual beliefs and Olympic dreams as the energy fueling their love is coming from a source no one would believe. Will their love survive? Or will the price of love cost Maurice and Sharice their lives? Will love conquer all? Find out....

BPM:  Introduce us to your book and the main characters. The main characters are Maurice Monroe, a gifted track star from North Carolina who has everything he needs in life and the other main character is Sharice Hill, a troubled young woman from Santa Monica California with a dark secret.

BPM: Who were your favorites? Are your characters from the portrayal of real people? My favorite character is Sharice because she is written from the portrayal of my friend Brooke. They both have a violent side when they are pushed to that level but deep down all they both want is to be loved the
right way.

BPM: What makes you powerful as a person and a writer? What makes me powerful as a person is my relentlessness not to follow to the "norms" of society. I walk to the beat of my own drum and I think so outside the box that is intrigues and scares people. What makes me powerful as a writer is my ability to push the envelope and keep a reader guessing and drawing conclusions during the entire book.

BPM: Who are your mentors? Where do you find your inspiration? I have no mentors but my inspiration comes from my mother. She worked hard so I would have the opportunities to flourish and now that I have them I am inspired everyday to take advantage. My other inspiration is my aunt Kiesha who is the youngest of 4 girls but was undoubtably the strongest.

BPM: Finish this sentence- My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...that will make future readers understand that storytelling is an art form, an art form that when done correctly without any restriants is more beautiful than anything else in the world.

BPM: What specific situation or revelation prompted you to write your book?
The song "No One" by Alicia Keys made me cry the very first time I heard it because it was so beautiful. After I listened to it, I wondered if I could write something so beautiful yet tragic, will it make complete strangers (especially men) cry.

BPM: Take us inside the book. What are two major events taking place?
Two major events that take place are Sharice finding out she was adopted and Maurice catching the swine flu.

BPM: Who do you want to reach with your book and the message within?
Everyone because Same Innocence is a love story and love has no limits, love is selfish and everyone has gone through a point where they questioned love or their love for someone based on specific circumstances.

BPM: How will reading your book shape the readers lives? It will shape the lives of readers because readers will realize that everything on the surface is not what it seems as well as witnessing what it takes to love another person when the whole world is against you or in your face. It may teach people that the minor things standing in the way of his or her happiness may not be all that serious and if it is, then maybe he or she will understand that it is worth fighting for.

BPM: What are some of their specific issues, needs or problems addressed in this book?
Specific issues or problems addressed in the book are faith and religion issues, dysfunctional family issues, abandonment issues, rape, triumph, issues with love, suicidal issues, the want to love and be loved and the list continues.

BPM: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book? I want readers to gain inspiration and the idea that true love does exist despite potential or evident road blocks. I want readers to gain a sense of self-worth, determination and drive within themselves.

BPM:  What do you think makes your book different from others on the same subject? Same Innocence does not focus on one subject but multiple subjects that are mixed to form the beautiful struggle that the story is. My book is not written for a specific gender or racial background, it is totally universal.

BPM: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases. I will be having an official book release party in Atlanta at the end of April, iTunes has picked up Same Innocence as an audio book and will be a downloadable app for the new iPad and iPhones. I have also recently moved to Atlanta and we are working on an independent film for Same Innocence.

BPM:  How can our readers reach you online? Share with us your online contact info.

Shaun M. Mathis
mrmathis@webgoonie.com  or search Author Shaun Mathis on facebook. More of my writing can be found on  http://www.associatedcontent.com/


Please share this discussion with your network too! Leave your thoughts below.Return to Black Pearls Magazine Online