Intimate Conversation with Barbara Lynette Peters

Barbara Lynette Peters  is a Follower of Christ since 1992. She is a native South Floridian, and the fourth of six children. She graduated from the University of Miami with a Bachelor’s and a Master’s Degree in Nursing in 1982 and 1992 respectively. She married Patrick in March of 1983. They have been blessed to parent their two sons, Adam & Bryan, into adulthood. Her book, Adulterous Heart, was released in July of 2009.

BPM: What makes you powerful as a person and a writer?
As a healthcare provider for over 28 years, I see some of the extremes of life close up – disease, illness, death, sadness, psychosis, etc.  It gives me the perspective of not skirting important issues too much and worrying about being politically correct. People are dying from very preventable causes. Why avoid the issues just because they are “hot,” if addressing them compassionately will save lives?

Additionally, I have seen and heard of people dying whether young or old, sick or well. Life is too short to focus on the trivial. There is an urgency to wrestle with the important complexities of life. Someone’s quality of life may depend upon it.

BPM: How much of what you write reflects on your outlook on life?
A great deal of what I write does reflect my view on life. For instance, Adulterous Heart is about intimate relationships and the thoughts we may have that precede them. The book is a direct reflection on my philosophies regarding life. It shows many of the ideas I believed and acted upon. The twist comes when my beliefs are pitted against, or go head-to-head against God’s perspective on the same ideas. The often stark difference between what I believed and what God says is true, is also presented. Though it was very uncomfortable writing the book, I understand that intimate relationships affect all of us profoundly. My hope is that what I learned, will give someone out there a solid foundation on which to build intimate relationships that thrive.

BPM: Who are your mentors? Where do you find your inspiration?
The Holy Spirit is my most faithful mentor. There have also been genuine Christian friends (a couple of handfuls) who have come along side me during this journey in life and have been faithful to speak truth, encouragement, and repeatedly lift me up in prayer to God.

My brother Daniel wrote and self-published his first book before me. He definitely inspired me to not just rely upon the conventional press if I wanted to get this work into print. He walked me through much foreign territory in self-publishing.

My biggest inspiration is definitely God. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, and His awesome Word, He has turned my world upside down. Conversely, news reports of families falling apart, people dying, seeing first-hand the proliferation of voluntary diseases spurs me on toward initiating the uncomfortable dialogue about what we believe and what is true.

BPM: What do you think of the increasingly fortuitous sex in African American literature?
While I cannot address this question by referring to a specific work, I would like to address it from the standpoint of a topic discussed in the book. If by fortuitous we refer to accidental or by chance, then we perpetuate the belief that life is always being done to us, and we have no control over certain voluntary events.

While there are cases of people being forced to participate in sexual activity, being intimately involved with someone is usually not accidental. As discussed in the book, there are many thoughts, beliefs and ideas that precede the scenario that we may manipulate into reality or allow to be manipulated into reality.

Entertaining the thought that it was accidental or happened by chance may increase the aura of romance (and makes for great fiction), but it also increases the lack of responsibility for one’s part in something that usually proves to be unhealthy emotionally and physically. It perpetuates the deception of self in the area of intimacy I wrote about in Chapter Seven of the book.

BPM: Finish this sentence- My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...
It points the reader to the one true source of life and health in matters of the heart, God and His Word.

BPM: Introduce us to your book and the main characters.
Adulterous Heart is about the hidden thoughts that precede our intimate relationships. While the book focuses mainly on affairs of the heart played out in the mind, it addresses the thoughts and desires that compel us to respond.

BPM: Who are your favorites? Are your characters from the portrayal of real people?
My favorite characters in the book are the faithful ones like Daniel featured in Chapter 21; and Isaac and Rebekah featured in Chapter Five. They are real people spoken of in the Bible that lived in amazing surrender to God.

BPM: What specific situation or revelation prompted you to write your book?
After realizing that I was repeatedly struggling with obsessive thoughts in emotional relationships, God began opening my eyes to the roots of my thoughts and feelings. A recurring and frightening thought came to mind—write about it. As I fought against the idea for months, God continued showing me the truth and transforming my heart and mind. I relented when I realized that I may not be the only person struggling with the issue of relationships of the mind, and what God was teaching me might also be a lifeline for someone else. Though sharing my “hidden” imperfections is most uncomfortable, what my healing may do for someone else is more important. All writers are not experts in their topic of interest; some are just sojourners sharing the paths they have traveled.

BPM: Take us inside the book. What are two major events taking place?
The book has three main foci. First, it presents some of the extreme outcomes of unhealthy relationships taken from real news stories, personal journals, and the Bible. Secondly, the thoughts behind those deadly outcomes are put on the table, dissected and analyzed. Thirdly, a more excellent way to heal and create healthy relationships is laid out as plainly as the writer was able.

BPM: Who do you want to reach with your book and the message within?
The book is written to women—college aged; young adult; middle-aged; and old-aged. It is written to mothers and grandmothers who influence what their children and grandchildren think and pursue. The book is written to those who say they believe in God and yet oppose Him on what He directs for our lives. It is for those who think that the Bible has nothing to say about life and love in our current culture and time.

BPM: How will reading your book shape the readers lives?
My own words will probably have little effect. My prayer is that the multitude of pointing to and incorporation of applicable Scripture will pull up weeds and plant good seed that will bear good fruit. Only God can do that.

BPM: What are some of their specific issues, needs or problems addressed in this book?
The book addresses some of the popular false philosophies many of us believe and teach to others. They are philosophies like:  follow your heart; love is…; good girls don’t…; my sexuality is my business or reproductive rights; and a host of other ideas that are untrue and have not stood the test of reality. Irregardless, they sound good, and have been passed down to many even though they produce disease, illness, and death.

BPM: What do you think makes your book different from others on the same subject?
Many writers portray themselves as the expert on a topic and present their nonfiction works in a somewhat detached manner. The Achilles’ heal is not theirs to grapple with, they are there to help you as an unaffected observer. The issue of affairs of the mind was mine to grapple with during the writing of the book. I was led to write about the topic not as an over-comer, but as one who was being walked towards victory. I could not assume the smug detachment that I felt many writers have about matters of the heart. God called me to share the process, not just the finished product.

BPM: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I would like the reader to gain the understanding that there is a best way to live and love; to gain the insight into an intimate relationship with God above all else; to gain the ability to rest while getting to know God; and to gain the skills to be an instrument of blessing to others (family, friends, and strangers) instead of a stumbling block or instrument of destruction.

BPM: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
In the next few months, I will be available to initiate the dialogue with audiences around the country on these sensitive matters of the heart. I want to ask and explore through Scripture—what do we believe regarding love and desire? Why do we believe those things? What have been the outcomes of these beliefs? Do they agree or disagree with Scripture? And, will we take the opportunity God is giving to help us and heal us?

Also, I am working on a children’s book, slash parent guide on Head Lice that should be out by the end of the year.  I have also begun setting up a small, independent publishing business to publish not only my writings but also those of family members under the name of Hiawatha Books. It is named after my dad who definitely introduced to us a love of reading and learning, and introduced us to God.

BPM: How can our readers reach you online?
Currently, I can be reached by email at heartchronicles@gmail.com

Additional information about the book can be located at  https://www.createspace.com/3385214  ; at http://www.amazon.com/; as well as http://www.barnesandnoble.com/  and http://www.booksamillion.com/  by searching the title, Adulterous Heart.


Please share this discussion with your network too! Leave your thoughts below.Return to Black Pearls Magazine Online