Pearl Interview: Bernard Boulton

Black Pearls Magazine Intimate Conversations




Ella:  Greetings Mr. Boulton, tell us a little about youself.
My name is Bernard Boulton and I am a man who is in pursuit of his destiny and purpose. I believe that God placed me in the earth to communicate hope through the medium of communication. For twenty five years I have communicated His word through preaching and now I have enlarged that ministry through writing.

Ella: Tell us about your passion for writing.
My passion for writing is ignited by my reading. I love to read and I love to read fiction. Reading fictional accounts about people who have been challenged by life always lights a spark in me to write. When I'm reading others stories those authors become voices in my spirit that pull out of me the narratives that I hear in my head. What God has set in my heart is a desire to write and the many novels that I've read has been the source of motivation for me.

Ella:  What legacy would you say your writing offers future readers?
My writing offers the following legacy to future readers to say yes to your dreams and produce whatever your dreams are spraking to you so that when you leave this world you will leave something behind that will bless others.

Ella:  Where are you from? What is your favorite genre? How did you start your journey?
I was born in Cleveland Ohio and I am living In Danville Virginia. Christian fiction is my favorite genre. I started writing stories when I was ten years old. I wrote stories that stretched my imagination. I remember after watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory that I wrote a story about a little boy who went to live in the chocolate factory. In the story I was the little boy. When I reached my teens the interest in writing waned. It was after I went to college at the Cuyahoga Community College and met Dr George Eppley that my interest in writing returned. I did a lot of creative writing in his class and the spark was ignited again.


Ella:  Tell us about your new book, "DO YOU WANNA BE MADE WHOLE?"
This is a story of overcoming the past to live in the future. The main character Pastor James Maxwell is a spiritual father to three men; Theo Dexter, Micheal Cain and Adam Jones. The inspiration of the story is taken from the Bible in St John chapter 5 where Jesus comes to a man and asked him did he want to be made whole. The story is dealing with three men who with the help of Pastor Maxwell goes through the process of being made whole. Throughout the story Pastor Maxwell is transparent as he gives himself as an example of a man who made mistakes in his past and is now using the wisdom from his those failures to teach men that they can overcome.

Ella:  What do you like about your two main characters?
Pastor James Maxwell knows the pain of making poor choices that damages families. He has dedicated his life to helping men avoid the mistakes that he has made in his life. Now he walks through the valley with three of his spiritual sons as they try to find their way to wholeness.  Will Pastor Maxwell be able to help Theo find forgiveness for the one who betrayed him? Can he help Michael who suffered a great tragedy in his life? Will he be able to help Adam face his past and discover a new future?

The two main characters are Pastor Maxwell and Theo Dexter. I like the portrayal of Pastor Maxwell as a gentle giant. He is a man of strength who has a passion for aiding men in their spiritual walk. I like Theo's struggles between doing what he wants to do and doing what is right. In both of these men I like their imperfections but at the end of the day they represent a manner of manhood that I beleive appeals to both men and women.
 
Ella: How does this book add value to your reader's life?
I hope that this story will add value to people's lives by causing them to celebrate and appreciate what the message of this novel is conveying. I hope that it empowers people who are trying to put the pieces of their lives back together after a crisis and and that it encourages people to know that what they went through yesterday does not have to be everyday in their life.

Ella: Name 3 things that it takes to make a successful author, in your opinion.
In my opinion a successful author is a person who first pursues their writing consistently. Secondly success is having a mentor who is willing to teach you. And third success is writing stories that connect with people in a meaningful way.

Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
In the future you can expect a sequel to DO YOU WANNA BE MADE WHOLE? and a nonfiction book that deals with a topic of interest to a great many people.

For more information, visit http://www.benardboulton.com/

Readers visit the author's website to order the book and to read excerpts.