Intimate Conversation with author S.D. Denny


Intimate Conversation with author S.D. Denny and Ella Curry of EDC Creations

S.D. Denny, a native New Yorker, began writing short stories and poetry at a young age and has never stopped. She also enjoys traveling, history, cooking and photography. In addition to her debut novel, The Baker’s Dozen, she also authored an erotic anthology and is a contributing author to the forthcoming The Breakthrough: A Triumph of My Soul Anthology.


Ella: Tell us about your passion for writing. Why do you write? What drives you?
Writing is a way for me to “empty out” my emotions when I become full. It’s also therapeutic and a way for me to challenging myself daily. It has been an outlet for me since the moment I was able to form a sentence.

Finish this sentence: I am Powerful because...
…I have a voice that I’ve chosen to use for healing.

Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I’m from Brooklyn , NY . My writing journey began as a means of escape from the harsh realities I faced as a child growing up in a Brooklyn housing project. Short stories and poetry were my break away from reality.

Ella: Please introduce us to your new book.

Breanna Baker felt as though her life was under control as long as she was in control of her life, but the moment she makes the startling discovery that she’s five weeks pregnant, things start to spin out of control for sure. To add fuel to the fire already burning in her life, her grandmother passes away and she returns home where she’s compelled to turn her attention to issues other than her untimely pregnancy.
Breanna feels obligated to save everyone from themselves, but when she uncovers the dark secret that had been hidden by her family for years, she is forced to face herself in the mirror to discover a truth that must be reckoned with before she can go any further in her life.


Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
The cover art jumps out at you and intrigues you to pick it up and see what it’s all about. You look at the face of the girl and the puzzle pieces seem to fall away as though she’s breaking apart, but after you read the story you find that she’s coming together.

Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I wish to entertain as well as to inspire someone with hope and possibly motivate someone to take the first step toward healing a deeply rooted hurt in their life.

Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
I would tell a new writer that the value of networking is beyond measure. Make as many contacts and resources as possible and learn as much as you can from them. Also, never give up on your dream – being a writer requires a great deal of hard work, but it’s rewarding if you truly love to write.

Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
I hope to begin my next literary project as the new year rolls in. I’m eager for my next main character to be a bi-racial female. It’s going to be something very different that is sure to raise some eyebrows. I can’t wait!


Contact information for S.D. Denny
http://sddenny.com/
Follow Me On Twitter at http://twitter.com/sddenny


Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag