The 3 R's: Rest, Relaxation and Rejuvenation

News From SuccessQuest Newsletter by Karyn Beach

There is only one definition of success ~ to be able to spend your life in your own way. The official newsletter of the Lose the Excuses website and blog!

The 3 R's: Rest, Relaxation and Rejuvenation
We Americans like to work hard. Many consider it a badge of honor to get to work early and stay late. With the advent of multi-tasking, a lot of people think they are slacking if they dare to do just one thing at a time! And if we dare to do nothing, we feel guilty and lazy. But here's the catch. Doing nothing is doing something. And doing nothing is something we all need to do some of the time.

Every so often, I take a weekend off. I don't work. I don't take my laptop. I leave my phone off and in the glove compartment. For me, usually there is a beach involved. I walk on the beach. I watch the sun rise. I eat good food. I write in my journal. I might do some shopping, take some photos or catch a movie. Basically, I just take some time to be with me.

But as a working girl who works full-time while trying to build my coaching practice, I don't get to do that too often.Yet, I still find time for renewal, even if it's just an evening. I might get a massage and come home to a relaxing bubble bath. Other times, I might take a favorite CD and go for a drive on a beautiful winding North Carolina country road. Occasionally, I'll take a hike or go sit by the lake. I have friends who curl up with a book or go out dancing or make time for prayer and meditation. The important thing isn't what you do or how you do it but that you do it.

Vacations and weekend getaways are nice (even necessary) but you need more than that. I say at least once a week, you need to spend some time with you.

If you are going to be home for an evening, weekend or a staycation (a vacation where you don't go anywhere), it's going to be harder to get away from the call of the computer, the chores and the daily grind. Here are some tips:

Prepare: Take some time before your time off to take care of the little things that might be nagging you (a few loads of laundry, cleaning the kitchen, balancing your checkbook).

Turn It Off: Turn off the computer and the ringer on all of your phones. People can leave messages; you won't be gone forever. If you are really worried about missing someone, give them a quick call before you begin and let them know you will be unavailable for a while.

Get Support: You need your time but so does your spouse or significant other. Work out who will handle the kids so that you can have your space. In return, offer to do that same thing for them. If there isn't a partner, work something out with a friend or grandparent.

For the die-hard workaholic and hopeless multi-tasker, remember that taking advantage of that down time will make you more focused and more productive when you get back to business!


Something to Think About...
"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." ~ Albert Schweitzer


Karyn Beach is a success coach and corporate trainer. She specializes in eliminating excuses and getting people to take action. She holds a bachelor's degree from Ohio University and is a member of The American Society of Training and Development and the National Association of Professional Women. Currently, she is completing her Core Coaching Certification with Coach University.

Lose the Excuses Blog
If you like this newsletter, join me over at the Lose the Excuses Blog. Updated every Monday and Thursday, each entry is designed to get you thinking and to help you - lose the excuses - and take the action! The best thing about the blog is that you can add your own comments and insights. So check it out and join in the discussion!

Free Coaching Session
If you have been wondering what coaching is all about or if working with a coach can help you, here your chance to find out! Schedule a free initial session and experience the coaching process first-hand. To schedule a session, send an email to karyn@losetheexcuses.com.


For more information, visit Lose the Excuses.

Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag