Intimate Conversation with Earl F. Betts Jr., Author

Intimate Conversation with Earl F. Betts Jr., Author

Tell us about your passion for writing.
I feel that writing is not something I do, it is who I am at the core. God has given me this talent and I will not waste it.


Finish this sentence:I am Powerful because...
I am Powerful because...my words will echo through my writing far beyond the sound of my voice.


Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I was born and raised in Altadena, California. Over the past few years I have lived in Arizona as well as Hawaii with my wife. I have been writing ever since I learned how to write, although it has only become my sole career recently. My wife told me to stop working in careers that only pay the bills. She told me, “Do what God has put you here to do.”



Tell us about your book. Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
"My Own Hurricane," a fictional novel- This narrative tale, told by Zeke Alexander, chronicles a terrible relationship wrought with addiction, mental illness and the dark side of codependency. Zeke explains his experiences to a friend who seems to be on the same dark path in hopes of his friend saving himself before it is too late.

In my most recent book, My Own Hurricane, the two main characters are Ezekiel “Zeke” Alexander and his friend Eli. What I like most about Zeke is his poise and humility. He is such a compassionate person, he shared the darkest part of his past with Eli just to give him a glimpse of the future Eli was creating for himself. It takes great courage to be so transparent and open. Although it was working against him in the story, Eli has this huge heart that sees everyone for who they could be at their best.




What makes your book, My Own Hurricane, stand out and would entice readers to pick it up?
This book deals with the things society only whispers about. Topics like mental illness, addiction, abuse and violence. It is a no holds barred account of the main characters’ lives from the outside in. There are many books written about mental illness and addiction which are written from the perspective of the ill or addicted. This book is written from the perspective of the people who are the willing victims of the ill and addicted.


Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I would like the readers of this book to know they are not alone with their secrets, whether they are similar or not to the characters in the book. Knowing you can get through a horrible situation and come out better for the experience is powerful medicine.


What is the most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
The end of the writing is only the beginning of the life of a book. I have learned things that amazed me to discover. Being an author is far beyond the written page. I chose to self publish my book for the experience I would gain from having my hand in every aspect.


What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?
My most significant achievement has been writing, designing, laying out and then publishing my books myself. More research was done on that process than the book itself. The story of the book, for me, writes itself. I am as excited as any other reader to see what happens on the next page. Creating an actual book was a journey all by itself.


What advice would you give a new writer?
Self publish your first book. Learn every aspect of the process. The education received will be worth all the pain, frustration and learning since you will know what it takes at each step to complete. There are dishonest people in every industry and you will be better prepared to spot them if you have an intimate working knowledge of the process. The other piece of advice I can give is to remain excited about your work. Each one is your baby. When you write new books they do not replace the previous works, they add to the collection.


Name 3 things that it takes to make a successful author, in your opinion?
Faith, talent and perseverance.


What can we expect from you in the future?

There are innumerable stories inside of me, so as I always have, I will continue to write. My dream is to turn my publishing company, Betts Creative Media, into a mentor driven business to help other new authors turn their thoughts into books. I want to teach writers how to become authors and give them a platform from which their voices can be heard.


Share with us your latest news, events or upcoming book releases.
I have two books currently available on www.Amazon.com, www.Target.com and of course www.bettscreativemedia.com. I am a featured contributor and have articles in The Chocolate Voice magazine that can be found at www.thechocolatevoice.com .

Thank you for your time,

Earl F. Betts, Jr., Author
Betts Creative Media
earl@bettscreativemedia.com
1447 Kewalo St.
#704
Honolulu, HI 96822




Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag