Intimate Conversation with author Zhana

Intimate Conversation with author Zhana

Ella: Hello Zhana, tell us a little about you and your work.My work focuses on the healing of humanity and our planet, with a particular focus on the healing of the people of the African continent and Diaspora. Individual and collective healing. Physical, mental and emotional healing. Healing our families and our communities. To that aim, I have written several books including Black Success Stories and Success Strategies for Black People, and I edit the More Black Success free ebooks. I also lead workshops to support the healing of our communities, the healing of our history, the healing of the legacy of enslavement and the Maafa. To do this work, I draw on ancient traditions as well as modern methods. By healing our past, we can move forward into the future we deserve.


Ella: Tell us about your passion for writing.
I wrote What They Don't Want Us to Know as a follow-up to Success Strategies for Black People. Both books came out of my healing journey. I am a survivor of childhood abuse and I have suffered from low self-esteem all my life. I have taught personal development courses for many years and both books contain material based on this work. With Success Strategies for Black People, I sat down to write and the writing just flowed. I had a similar experience with What They Don't Want Us to Know - I had planned to write a very different book. But what came out was what was in my heart.

Ella: Finish this sentence: I am Powerful because...
I am powerful because I was born into a mighty race and I am part of this glorious universe! My potential is boundless!

Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I am originally from New York City. I live in London, UK. I’ve been writing since I was nine (more than forty years).A lot of my work comes out of my own healing journey, as I am a survivor of childhood abuse.


Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
My books Success Strategies for Black People (http://www.squidoo.com/Success-Strategies-for-Black-People) and What They Don’t Want Us to Know (http://www.lulu.com/content/2571278) stand out because they are full of practical suggestions that anyone can do. They are very accessible.

I focus on writing for an African American audience and helping us to heal our individual and collective past wounding and traumas, to create the fabulous future we deserve. I emphasise the importance of celebrating our cultural heritage as people of the African Diaspora.


Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I want readers to not just read these books and think “how interesting”. They are meant to inspire you, but I have written them to help you change your life. That means you need to DO what it says in the book, and see the results you gain. I also offer free ongoing support at: http://nurturesuccess.multiply.com/


Ella: What is the most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
The thing that surprised me was how much I had to say.With both books, I started writing and the information just flowed.

Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
To be a successful author, you need to 1) have something to say that’s of value for people; 2) be a good writer, be able to communicate well; and 3) most importantly, keep going! The writers who are most successful are the ones who did not give up.

Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
I am setting up workshops for Black parents and families in London. African Americans are also welcome. For more details, visit: http://www.blacksuccess1.com/improvingcommunication.htm

Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag