#WritingWithPurpose: Sister You ARE More Than Your assETS by Angelia Vernon Menchan

Sister You ARE More Than Your assETS
by Angelia Vernon Menchan

Sister You Are More Than Your assETS is a mentor's outreach to young sisters. Angelia Vernon Menchan has penned a timely book sharing her life experiences as a growing and grown woman in overcoming sometimes daunting experiences. It also speaks to the way in which women can love, support and empower other women, sometimes simply by being there. This book is in no way a fix for the ills of society and will not speak to every reader. It is meant for those who can take what's needed and pass on the rest.


Excerpt: Sister You Are More Than Your assETS 


I was thinking about all the things we are not teaching our children, specifically our daughters, and how that lack of teaching is perpetuated throughout generations. Sometimes I look at young girls all dressed up in fake finery, because they have been taught to 'look good', but when I look close there are so many things awry, like basic hygiene not being taught self-care or self-protection. I recall being a young girl and my mother teaching me about lotion for my skin, and becoming a pre-teen and being taught about deodorant and other feminine hygiene issues. I recall being asked by my godmother if I were sexually active. After telling her no, and hearing her sigh of relief, she knew I had listened to them tell me to be careful and discerning.

I listened as she gave me practical and a bit graphic information. Although I was slightly uncomfortable at the time, I am glad now. I have to wonder what happened to all those conversations between women of the generations. I talk to so many young women who have had sex with a series of guys without the benefit of protection or information, all the while leaving themselves exposed to a plethora of things.

Is it because mothers, aunts, godmothers and the like are too busy? Or is it because many of them were so young themselves, they do not even know what to impart? I know that telling them things will not insure they follow it to the letter, but I kid you not, having the information leaves them with choices and a feeling that there is somewhere to go to find out. It breaks my heart what these otherwise smart girls do not know. They also need to know how to handle their finances, and to know that while babies are a blessing, they are also entitled to be women and not just mothers. They need to know it is okay to self-care, because for real, they can't take care of anyone else, if they themselves are uncared for.

As I write this I want to thank the women in my life who taught me and loved me, my mama, Ora Lee Vernon My aunt, Elouise Vernon, My godmother, Eva Mae Jackson, My grandmother, Mary Alice Vernon, I am here to tell you there is nothing like it.  We must learn these things and pass them on to our children, the world's children.


Book Reviews: 


By Nicole 
If this book was written with the intent to empower women, I would say that the goal was met! In the time of "reality" shows, it may seem that women are silly and living low lives on purpose. When we take into consideration that many women may not know that they are valuable. They may not now that they deserve and should expect to be cherished, respected and loved. Ms. Angelia has penned a valuable tool that is set to introduce to some and remind others that we are beautiful and we are worthy of love and care. We must begin that journey with learning to love and cherish ourselves.

This book is an excellent tool for teenagers, young adults, and any woman of any name that could use a good boost of wisdom in her life. God bless you Ms. Angelia, thank you for sharing this valuable information with us.

By Edwina Putney 

This book is a down-to-earth, common sense approach to advising females of all ages how to value their minds, bodies, and souls. But since common sense isn't too common, it is a wonderful move on Mrs. Menchan's part to have penned this valuable book. Not only does she provide advice/mentoring, but also includes snapshots from her own life as a examples of how situations can be handled. It also reveals how some people are destined to impact the lives of others in positive ways. Kudos to Angelia Vernon Menchan for writing this book. I hope many will read and will also buy additional copies to share.

By Aja 

Love, wisdom, guidance . . . and truth. All of these things are wrapped up in one wonderful gift to give to the women in your life. I found myself enjoying listening to Angelia share her experiences, because that's how I felt, like I was listening to her sound voice. There were a few scenarios that spoke to me personally but I know that all will leave an imprint. What more can I say, outside of, you need to buy this book and give it as a gift to yourself or to another who needs to know they are more than what others sometimes see in you/them. We are more. Bravo, Angelia!

Order Sister You ARE More Than Your assETS from the author and a free journal is included
but only if ordered directly from her blog:  http://angeliavernonmenchanserials.blogspot.com 


Order Sister You ARE More Than Your assETS 
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1519432747