Intimate Conversation with Renee Daniel Flagler



Renee Daniel Flagler is an award-winning writer, creative writing teacher artist, and an award-nominated author of six novels. Her latest books are Raging Blue, the sequel Still Raging and the upcoming, Society Wives, which has been optioned for film. Renee is currently at work on her next novel, The Second Wives Club and is scheduled to release her first romance series in 2015 through Harlequin’s Kimani Romance imprint under the pseudonym Nicki Night. Find Renee online through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+ or at ReneeDanielFlagler.com.

Renee’s work has been described as “deliciously dramatic.”

BPM:  Introduce us to your latest book in the Raging Blue series. What genre are the books? Blue Holiday reaches the end of her rope, her marriage, and her long-time friendship with BFF, Mia Reynolds. She’s ready to move on but now her husband, the infamous bad-boy baller, Jaylin Mack, is cut from the team because of his erratic behavior and without Blue he’ll be broke. Their chances of reconciliation are doused the moment a salacious secret is revealed. As far as Jaylin is concerned, if he can’t have his wife, living off her trust fund will do just fine. Problem is, he forgot a woman in love will put up with a lot. But a woman enraged…will make you pay.  Raging Blue is Contemporary women’s fiction and is available as an e-book, wherever e-books are sold.

In Still Raging, the rage escalates in this fast-paced sequel to Raging Blue as the battle between ex friends, Blue Holiday and Mia Reynolds, takes a new turn when inexplicable things begin to happen that could potentially destroy Blue and Gavin Gray’s relationship. Blue suspects that Mia is behind the bizarre happenings and is determined to get to the bottom of it all. Peyton King, Blue’s friend and wife of star basketball player, Kendrick King, is dragged into the mayhem when Mia shows up on their doorstep to drop the staggering bomb that Kendrick could be the father of her infant daughter. Mia isn’t interested in breaking up their marriage; she just wants Kendrick’s money so she could recover her lavish lifestyle.

Peyton and Kendrick’s marriage has finally gotten on track but Mia’s news threatens to rock the happy foundation they built. Peyton resorts to desperate measures to regain a semblance of peace and to get Mia and that illegitimate child of hers out of their lives for good.


Still Raging unravels a newly tangled web of secrets, deception and desperation.


BPM:   What topics does this series address?  Why? Raging Blue addresses various relationship issues, as most of my books due. However what’s interesting about Raging Blue is that it touches on a popular issue in our society today and that is the dynamic women making more money than men.  The New Yorker magazine featured an article on this topic earlier this year. Many woman are ambitious and ofter make more than their spouses or significant others. But this dynamic is changing relationships and marriages in many ways and begs many questions. I like dealing in the realm of relationships because everyone can relate to them. The two things that people in life are always in search of, or want are love and money.

BPM:   Who does your work speak to? I think my work speaks to the modern woman mainly but there’s something in there for men as well.

BPM:   You believe strongly in: My Lord, family and living a fabulous and passionate life.

BPM:   You are humbled by: Too many things to count. The one thing I never had was a big ego. It humbles me when readers enjoy my work. It humbles with fellow authors appreciate what I bring to the table.


BPM:   Faith allows you to:
Do anything I set my mind to!


BPM:   Criticism makes you:
MAD! Just joking. It makes me take a second look and think about where I could make improvements. It helps me to grow as a person and as a writer.


BPM:   A talent mind:
A talent mind: …is a terrible thing to waste!


BPM:   Three artists on your playlist: 
Tamela Mann, Jay Z and Eric Benet


BPM:   What writer would you consider a mentor:
I can only pick one? Darn…Eric Jerome Dickey, Victoria Christopher Murray…Okay, I cheated. There’s more but I’ll stop here.


BPM:   Your  fondest childhood/college memory:
Back in high school, My best friend and I created a video tape along with some other friends. In the tape we re-created the “Oh Diane,” commercial, made music videos to Keith Sweat’s song I Want Her, Aretha Franklin’s Respect and Stephanie Mills, If I Was Your Woman. It was horrible and hilarious at the same time!


BPM:   What surprised you the most about becoming...
The biggest surprise about become a parent was the natural way I fell into being a mother. No mother is perfect, but I didn’t things to fall in place like it did. Instinct is an amazing thing.


BPM:   If  you weren't a writer, you would be:
Still working as a marketing professional in corporate America. However, I used to dance—actually I still do—but back in the days, I wanted to be the next Debbie Allen. Fame was my movie!


BPM:   What you learned from your readers:
Patience and how to work harder.


BPM:   The greatest threat to literary freedom is:
Cookie cutter stories that don’t stretch the imagination.


BPM:   How has your writing evolved:
I’ve always written and loved to write. However, I can clearly see the growth in my writing from my first book to my most recent one. I love taking workshops and classes to learn more. The biggest challenge was doing in the MFA program and learning from my professors about how to work at becoming a better writer. This program has had a tremendous impact on my writing. I learned new techniques and put much more thought into story outcomes, characters and plots. My craft has improved with every effort that I’ve engaged in to improve it.


BPM:   The first thing you do when a book is released:
Plan a slammin’ book release party!


BPM:   Your favorite promotional tool:
As a professional marketer, I engage in many effort. I’m not sure if I have a favorite but I stay on Facebook like it’s nobody’s business.


BPM:   Advice you would give a new author:
Learn the business inside and out and continue to hone your craft—always.


BPM:   Your greatest accomplishment as a writer:
Being able to and being considered qualified to become a teaching artist and teach writing to children in public schools.


BPM:   What you know for sure:

Is that I would be where I am in my writing career without the blessings I’ve received from God.



BPM:   Will the printed book ever become obsolete:
Hard core book lovers who enjoy having a book in their hands would like to believe that it won’t. (Like me.) However, I do believe that it’s quite possible. Think about it, when’s that last time you listened to a cassette? How many people download music to their mp3 players as opposed to buying a CD these days. I believe that value of the physical book will increase overtime because there will be less of them. Sometime in the future, they will be like collector’s items. Even my kids are using computers more as opposed to getting everything from a textbook. We have some time to still love on our beloved books but a day will come when seeing someone with a book in their hand could be a rarity.


BPM:   What legacy do you wish to leave future generations of readers:
The understanding that they all have a voice that’s worthy to be heard. The understanding that pasts don’t dictate futures & lastly, life is meant to be lived in color.


Connect with the Author

http://www.ReneeDanielFlagler
http://www.Twitter.com/ReneeFlagler
http://youtu.be/vawVysnyaqs

http://www.Facebook.com/ReneeDanielFlagler
http://www.amazon.com/Raging-Blue-ebook/dp/B00954M38Y

RAGING BLUE SERIES

Multicultural Fiction. Subject matter: Relationships, friendships, addiction.



Purchase Still Raging (Raging Blue) by Renee Daniel Flagler
Romance. Contemporary Women Fiction. People & Cultures

http://www.amazon.com/Still-Raging-Renee-Daniel-Flagler-ebook/dp/B00N81F1X4

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/still-raging-renee-daniel-flagler/1120257211