IN HER OWN WORDS: MEET TRICE HICKMAN


I grew up on the eastern coast of North Carolina; the middle child of two of the best parents on earth! I was a precocious kid, the one who always asked, “Why?” I loved reading books because they were the perfect escape from my small hometown. I’d meet interesting people and travel to exciting places, all without leaving the Michael Jackson (rest in peace) covered walls of my bedroom. During my undergraduate years at Winston-Salem State University, (Go RAMS!) I continued my love affair with books. I even fantasized about writing a novel, envisioning myself at the top of the New York Times Bestsellers List. But upon graduation, and with the next month’s rent looming, I put that dream on hold and chose a more practical route…getting a 9 to 5 to pay the bills!

I spent the next several years in a rewarding career in higher education, but I continued to dream about writing a book. Occasionally, I’d dabble—creating characters and plots in my head that somehow never made it past a few frustrating pages. Fast forward through earning a Masters Degree from Wake Forest University, and working in a variety of management positions for corporate and non-profit organizations, I still held on to my love of books and the dream of one day writing my own. Then something happened to me that left me numb…I was laid-off!

But not to fear, that lay-off was ultimately one of the best blessings of my life. When my 9 to 5 door closed, God opened my literary window! One morning, instead of beginning my day of job searching, I sat at my computer and let all those years of ideas come rushing out.

Instead of the writer’s block I had experienced in the past, I put my fingers to the keyboard and watched the words flow like sweet water. By one o’clock the next morning I had written the first chapter of, Unexpected Interruptions! Five months later the novel was complete. Ironically, a few months after that I landed a job. Over the next two years I worked my 9 to 5 while researching the next step—how to get published. I submitted my manuscript to dozens of agents and publishers, but they all turned me down. Let me tell you, rejection is a very hard thing to swallow. But I was determined not to let anything stop me from my dream! I had faith, and I believed in the story I had written. So, after careful thought and planning, I resigned from my job (Honestly, I think I actually skipped into work that morning…I may have even clicked my heels too!) and formed my own publishing company, Platinum Books, and published Unexpected Interruptions myself!

Unexpected Interruptions, went on to garner rave reviews, win literary awards, and top several bestsellers lists! My books that followed, Keeping Secrets & Telling Lies, and Playing the Hand You’re Dealt, were both received with equal praise and recognition. And guess what?... After accomplishing those literary achievements, a major publisher offered me a book deal to purchase all three of my originally self-published novels! That’s right, my first three books were re-released by Kensington Publishing Corp. (Dafina Books) giving my work broader distribution online and in retail stores. I also signed another contract with them to write three additional novels! To say that I’m excited is an understatement!

I’m currently working on my next novel and I’ve written story lines for seven additional books. I love what I do and there’s no greater feeling than being able to live your dream. I’m blessed in so many ways, and with God’s steady hand to guide me this is only the beginning of what’s ahead!


To learn more about Trice Hickman and her books, please visit her website at www.tricehickman.com. If you’re interested in taking your first step toward becoming a published author, please contact Trice for a one-on-one coaching session by clicking on the Writer’s Corner page on her site.



CHECK OUT TRICE'S LATEST BOOK


Purchase Troublemaker (An Unexpected Love Novel)
by Trice Hickman. Go here:  http://amzn.com/0758287267 


Every joy has its challenges. . .

After twenty years, childhood best friends Alexandria Thornton and PJ Brightwood have reunited--and fallen in love. Alex's artistic nature as a spoken word artist, and PJ's success as a talented surgeon promise a bright future. But their happiness brings unexpected complications for those they care about most. . .

A devoted wife, loving mother, and successful businesswoman, Victoria Thornton is a pillar of her suburban Atlanta community. But when her daughter, Alexandria, becomes engaged to the son of Victoria's former lover, her past mistake threatens her orderly life. As the impending marriage reunites both families, it reignites old feelings that test all of their relationships--and all of their boundaries. . .



Books by Trice Hickman
http://www.amazon.com/Trice-Hickman/e/B002N44944
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/trice-hickman/2106303



Unexpected Love Novel Series - More Books by Trice Hickman
* Looking for Trouble
* Unexpected Interruptions
* Keeping Secrets & Telling Lies
* Playing the Hand You're Dealt