Intimate Conversation with J.M. Lominy


Intimate Conversation with J.M. Lominy

Life began for J.M. Lominy in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.  As a husband, father, nurse and veteran Lominy has been making room to write since 2000.  Specializing in Historical Fiction, he is the author of the upcoming book, The Deadly Rose, An Assassin’s Tale.  His work, both poetic and determined in voice, places an emphasis on the Haitian experience as witnessed through the life of passionate characters. Mr. Lominy currently resides in Georgia with his wife and his three sons.  Visit J.M. Lominy at:  http://jmlominy.com 

BPM:  When did you get your first inkling to write, and how did you advance the call for writing?
I got my first inkling to write during my first year of college.  It was an emotional time and my life was full of turmoil.  After being honorably discharged from the Marine Corps, my finances were stretched thin, I did not fit in with my peers, and at twenty-two years old I was a husband and father of two.

It was during that time, 1993, poetry came to me as if a flood bursting through a dam.  The enormity of it was so strong I had to put it on paper. I always had stories coming to me even as a child and I had difficulty staying focus with all the colorful stories floating around in my mind but they never made it to paper. This continued into adulthood.

At the age of thirty-two I went to Haiti for the funeral of my maternal uncle, who was like a father to me.  It was at that time, I realized how disconnected I was with my country of birth.  I had limited knowledge of my history.  I started to read books on Haitian history and that stimulated a barrage of story ideas.  From that time on, I attended writer’s conferences, read books on the art of writing and more than anything else, I wrote.

BPM:  Do you have anyone in your life that was heavily influential in your deciding to become an author?
My wife, has always been that voice to keep me on a straight path.  Telling me to stay focus.  She was my first critic, a harsh one at that.  She also pushed me to pursue what made me happy.

BPM:  Introduce us to your book and the main characters. What makes each one special? Do you have any favorites?
In 1957 Haiti was in turmoil.  The former president is in exile and his seat is up for grabs.  A popular Haitian senator is assassinated and the assassin escapes to find himself hunted by an unknown psychopathic killer.

Pierre-André François is twenty-six years old, a handsome star soccer player.  He is pleasant, approachable and adored by thousands of fans.  He is sometimes a jokester with witty intelligence.  He has a secret; he is the vile and feared assassin known as The Little Rose.

Marie-Anne Savoire, is a young energetic and stylish beauty that dates wealthy men or those in position of power.  She has that ability to make a man pause in mid-sentence once she enters a room.  She is a close friend of Pierre-André.

Marcel St. Louis is a twenty-four years old medical student with direct lineage from France.  He is the son of an influential retired army general.  He and Pierre-André have been friends since childhood.  Their friendship has developed into something more than friendship.

Frank Gaston, is one of the three leaders in the largest criminal organizations in Haiti.  He is a ruthless strategist.  He is Pierre-André’s maternal uncle and surrogate father.

My favorite character amongst them all is Marie-Anne.   She is full of life and colorful.  I consider her sweet and sour; just as she starts to taste good in your mouth she drops you from boredom.

BPM:  Which character or topic in the book can you identify with the most? Why?
One of the topics in the book I identify with is family.  My main character, Pierre-André is an efficient killer, but deep down in his mind and spirit, he is family centered; that is his core, his Achilles heel.  I can identify with that, family is important to me.

BPM:  What inspired you to write this book?  Does your faith or education inspire your writing?
The inspiration for this book came from the vestibules of knowledge flowing through my mind.  It just came to me, like many other ideas that will morph into books.  I have a constant flow of thoughts that resonate in my mind while I do my daily activities.  Some of them end up on paper.  It has always been that way with me.

Faith and education does inspire my writing.  It can be found throughout my writing.  It is intertwined within my story as though a dash of spice that you know is there but you could barely taste it.


BPM:  Is this the book you intended on writing or did the story take on a life of its own as you were writing? How do you stay focused?
What I call the book fairies took over the story and it turned out better than I anticipated.  On many occasions I had to take a conscious pause and weight the pros and cons of going with the story in a certain direction.  I kept focus by sequestering myself in my office while listening to jazz. Visualizing my book on the shelves of the big bookstores or the retailer’s was also a motivator.  I arise daily at 4am to write.

BPM:  Share with us a quote  from one of the most powerful chapters.
“If a man muddies his shoe, does he not clean it, or should he buy another.”

BPM:  Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I want readers to gain knowledge of Haiti, its people and the core that binds us all; family, religion and politics.

BPM:  What are your goals as a writer? Did you set out to educate? Entertain? Illuminate? Inspire?
My goals as a writer is to educate, entertain and illuminate about the Haitian experience.  An experience that is no different than any other human struggle.  What makes it unique is that Haiti is rich with colors.

When you’re in Haiti, the air feels alive the stars twinkle hinting at the secrets they keep.  Haitians smile no matter their condition.  I bring those feelings in my story; a historical fiction that you will want to be true.

BPM:  What would you like to accomplish as you continue to write?
I would like to develop a brand that resonates with readers through laughter, excitement, and gratification.  Overall, I want readers to know that every time they open a J.M. Lominy novel, they will be entertained in a different and unsuspecting kind of way.

BPM:  A Legacy is something that is handed down from one period of time to another period of time. Finish this sentence- “My writing offers the following legacy to future readers... ”
My writing offers the following legacy, a look into the past that brings clarity to the present.

BPM:  We are here to shine the spotlight on your new book, but what's next?  How may our readers follow you online?
I am writing the sequel to the current book.  In addition, I’m starting another book line under another name and genre.  Readers can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and they can sign up for my newsletter at WWW.JMLOMINY.COM.

The Deadly Rose, An Assassin's Tale by J.M. Lominy, chapter one is available for immediate reading:   http://jmlominy.com/books/chapter-1


J.M. Lominy website: http://jmlominy.com 
Pinterest:   http://pinterest.com/jmlominy
Twitter:   https://twitter.com/JMLOMINY
Twitter:  https://www.facebook.com/JmLominy

 
Pre-order your copy today from the J.M. Lominy website:  http://jmlominy.com 

The Deadly Rose, An Assassin's Tale

Available on Kindle and Nook
Genre:  Historical Fiction.  Family, Religion, and Politics
ISBN-10: 0988827719 ebook           13: 978-0-9888277-1-4 ebook
ISBN-10: 0988827700 paperback     13: 978-0-9888277-07 paperback