Intimate Conversation with Cerece Rennie Murphy

Order of the Seers Trilogy
by Cerece Rennie Murphy




What would you do if you held
infinite power in the palm of your hand?


Thank you for sharing in the excitement of the upcoming release of The Red Order.  As the sequel to the topselling sci-fi thriller Order of the Seers, The Red Order gives you everything you would expect – heart-pounding action, a layered, sci-fi mystery, nail-biting suspense and yes, even a little romance.  The stakes are high as our favorite characters and couples return to fight for the freedom of all those who have the gift of seeing the future.  The next installment in the Order of the Seers trilogy will be released in June, 2013, but you don’t have to wait to get a sneak peek. 
Click on this link to read the first 2 chapters of The Red Order for free and then head over to the “Buy the Book” page to pre-order your signed copy today!
Intimate Conversation with  Cerece Rennie Murphy




BPM:  Tell us about yourself, your family and how you began writing.  Did you write as a young person or in college?
My mother tells me that when I was a little girl, I would always ask for a book rather than a toy when I went to the store, but up until two years ago, I never considered that I could write a novel. As a lifelong lover of stories (bedtime and otherwise), I have enjoyed literary fiction and movies as a window into other worlds, perspectives and experiences.
Though I have written poetry since I was twelve years old, in my professional life my writing has focused on program design, evaluation and fundraising for community-based and international non-profits. Having grown up in what other people considered a “bad neighborhood”, economic development in poor communities is something I am very passionate about.  The first creative endeavor I ever wrote that was longer than two pages was an eight-page fan fiction piece for The X-files. It took me ten years before another awesome series (The Twilight Saga) inspired me to try my first short story, Spirit to Flesh. Two months after I finished that story, an image of a man named Marcus who could see the future flashed though my mind. Shortly after, I began to research and write what is now Order of the Seers.
I am currently a full-time mother of two children, a wife, and a part-time writer. In addition to completing the Order of the Seers trilogy, I have two other projects that are in varying stages of development: a children’s book series entitled Enchanted World: 5 tales of Magic in the Everyday and a book on understanding marriage/relationship advice for single women entitled More than the Ring.

BPM:  Do you have anyone in your life that was heavily influential in your deciding to become an author?
When I first mentioned the story idea for Order of the Seers to my friend and mentor, Trice Hickman, she said “That’s a book, Cerece! You are writing a book!”  I was very skeptical.  Up until that point, I had never written a full length story based solely on my own ideas and I wasn’t at all sure that I could do it.  But she never doubted me.  That was my first step into a larger vision for this story, but it wasn’t until I was halfway through writing the book that I thought…maybe, maybe I could be an author.

BPM:  Introduce us to your book, Order of the Seers and the main characters. What makes each one special? Do you have any favorites?  
Order of the Seers is a sci-fi novel about a group of people called Seers who are enslaved and exploited for their extraordinary ability to see the future and how they ultimately gain their freedom, and in so doing, change the world.  At its core the book is about unearthing your true purpose in life, not the one that is assigned to you, but the one you discover for yourself.  There’s a lot of sci-fi stuff that I think is cool, but at its heart, that is what Order of the Seers is about.

Now to the characters…Oh!  I love these characters so much and the extraordinary journey that they have taken me on.  It’s a privilege to be able to bring them forward into the world.  The story opens with Lilli and Liam Knight, a brother and sister who love each other fiercely through some pretty terrible experiences.  Watching them evolve and grow in their understanding of themselves and what their purpose is was really excited.  I love Liam’s courage so much throughout this book.  And Lilli - watching her become a woman in full possession of her power just blew me away.

Alessandra Pino is another character whom I love. She is such a dichotomy of vulnerability and iron strength.  To know the type of horror that she experiences and still stand upright is really something to be admired.  But my favorite character is Marcus Akida.  He is who I want to be when I grow up.  Powerful, humble, kind, smart, but open to learning and above all grateful for everything there is to be grateful for.  Yeah, he’s my hero.

BPM:What topics does your latest book address?  Why?
CRM: Order of the Seers addresses the fundamental question of why we are here and what our true potential and purpose is using the powerful (and fun) backdrop of a science fiction thriller.  It’s an edge of your seat adventure that (hopefully) makes you questions a few assumptions about yourself and the world around you.  I personally believe that understanding and fulfilling your purpose in life is the ultimate quest for any human being.

BPM:  What makes Order of the Seers unique?
What makes Order of the Seers distinctive within the science fiction genre is its exploration of the intersection between science and spirituality as it relates to understanding the evolution of human potential.

BPM:  What inspired you to write this book?  Does your faith or education inspire your writing?
You know, really, I consider this book a gift from God.  I was never supposed to be a story writer.  I’ve written poetry most of my life, but until 2 years ago, I NEVER thought I could write a full length story.  So yes, writing this story and the process of putting it out to the world has been nothing but an act of faith for me.  When I look at the themes in this book, I realize that many of them spring from questions that I have had my whole life.  Questions like why are we really here?  What is our purpose?  What is the full extent of my potential?  What was I made for? There are a lot of those questions in this book, as in many science fiction novels, which is why I love the genre.

BPM:  Are any scenes from the book borrowed from your world or your experiences?
Yes.  I love to travel and I love accents.  Many of the places, nationalities and languages that are featured in Order of the Seers and the sequel, which I am writing now, are borrowed from my own exposure to different places and languages.

BPM:  Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
If I could inspire readers to look at themselves and their own potential more openly that would be huge.  I think the best books and movies lead you to question your assumptions about the world.  I would love to have some small part in doing that.

BPM:  Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases. How may our readers follow you online?
Thanks for asking!  Right now I am finishing the sequel to Order of the Seers called The Red Order.  I can’t wait to finish writing it and see how everything unfolds!  After that I have the final book in the Order of the Seers trilogy to write, plus a children’s book series called Enchanted.  After that I have a book on marriage advice that I am really looking forward to delving into.  So it’s going to be busy for awhile, but each one of these stories is precious to me, so I can’t wait to see them all grown up and out in the world.  If you would like to know more, please visit my website at www.crmurphybooks.com where you can sign up for exclusive outtakes and previews for upcoming books or follow me on Twitter @cerecermurphy.  I also have a CRMurphy author page on Facebook.  Hope to see you there!

BPM:  Thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself, your journey and your book with our readers!

Order of the Seers by Cerece Rennie Murphy
Genre: Fiction; Science Fiction
ISBN: 978-0985621001
Twitter: @cerecermurphy
Website:  www.crmurphybooks.com
Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/pages/CRMurphy/356404784423476