Voices of Thanksgiving: author Mimi Renee

Voices of Thanksgiving AND Gratitude
Mimi Renee

Mimi Renee is a California native born in Compton and raised in Long Beach California. Mimi Renee recalls that reading and writing has always been her passion from as far back as she could remember. As a young girl she read aloud to herself and others for fun and enjoyed volunteering to stand up to and read out loud in front of class as much as she could.

During her sophomore year in high school at David Starr Jordan High in north Long Beach, Mimi learned that she was pregnant and was soon transferred to a continuation school to finish her high school term at Will Reid Continuation, in a special program for pregnant minors. Getting her life on track as a mother and not able to hang out with friends like she had in the past, Mimi reclaimed her passion for reading. Going back to her grass roots of scribed art suddenly Mimi had become inspired to put her passion for writing into action. After writing her first line on the page of her notebook, she was hooked. She has continued to write manuscript after manuscript and enjoying every minute of it.   Website: http://www.johnsonpublications.biz/


What was your most memorable holiday from the past?
My families first celebrated Kwanza holiday, back in 1997...To me it was a very meaningful and joyous experience, one that I will never forget...

How do you celebrate the holidays? What are the "traditions" for your family?
My holidays are always spent with family and friends. For Christmas, my family’s traditions are quite the norm. We pot luck and cook together on Christmas Eve and drink eggnog, while listening to soulful Christmas carols. We always exchange gifts on Christmas Eve and open them up at 12 midnight. All other holidays are also spent together, always cooking, reminiscing, laughing, joking, playing games and importantly inspiring and loving one another.

What are you most thankful for today? What message does all your books have in common?
I’m always thankful for the lord waking me, my family and friends up each morning, allowing us to have another day to make it happen-. And I’m definitely thankful for my craft of writing. My books all carry a lot of hurt and pain and show the actual reaction of these emotions. My message is always to forgive in order to move on and to pray in order to make that happen.