Reader Spotlight: Meta V. Anthony, Book Talk Book Club

Intimate Conversation with Meta V. Anthony
Book Talk Book Club



BPM: Meta, tell us a little bit about yourself and your favorite things.
My name is Meta Anthony and I am an 50 plus avid reader and president of Book Talk Book club in Atlanta. My favorite authors are James Patterson and Kimberla Lawson Roby. I enjoy all types of plays, mostly geared to black artists.

BPM: Share with us the history of the organization. How did you get started?
Our book club was formed in 1997 by four co-workers who worked at a local company in Atlanta, GA. Since that time we have had many members, fortunately some have stayed and unfortunately some have decided to move on to other things. We have had as little as five members and as many as twenty-one. As you can see Book Talk goes on.

Our current active members are 12. I'm not sure of the first book we read back in 1997, but the first one we read in January of 2004 was Mary's Little Lamb by Lawrence Christopher. We are currently reading Uptown by Dewberry and Grant for August, 2010. We usually attend the National Book Club Conference in July/August in Atlanta. We also attended the 1st Black Book Club Expo on August 7th in Atlanta, GA this yr. Also, in December we will be attend the Dekalb Count Jubilee Annual Book Conference in Decatur, GA.

BPM: What is the vision for your organization? Do you host events during the year?
Our vision to make life better for someone by reading and making dreams come true. We are not currently involved as a book club in donating to charities, but several members donate their time and energy on their own.

BPM:  Speak to the writers, what would you like to see written in books?
Reading is very important to me, for it helps me to look at this in a different prospective.

BPM: What impact has reading had on your life? Has there been any books that help shape your life or gave you inspiration during a trying time in life?
Reading has been a great impact on life. Mainly, because I come from a background of teachers....mother, grandmother, aunts and uncles..I always loved to read, for it took some places I may never visit

BPM: Would you say you read more for escape, for educational purposes or for entertainment?
I usually read at least books a month, if time permits. One for the book club and two on my own.

BPM:  Do you prefer a hard copy book or a digital book, such as a Kindle book?
Yes, I have been introduced to the kindle and I enjoy the books on digital. I do have some authors that I collect their writings and I prefer them on hardback. No, I don't think the digital will ever replay the hardback, for some just like the feel of a book and turning pages..

BPM: Do you think the writings of today's authors are leaving the same legacy as authors from other generations? Do you see others following their path? If so, who?
Not too sure about this statement, for a lot of these new authors are just catering to todays subjects...such as hip hop urban books.


Finish these fun loving sentences with the question and answer:

BPM: Living your best life includes:
...being true to yourself

BPM: On your nightstand now:
...my kindle and Uptown by Dewberry and Grant

BPM: Favorite book when you were a child:
Raggedy Ann & Andy

BPM: Book all readers should own excluding the bible:
Write it down make it happen by Henriette Anne Klauser

BPM: Book you gave as a gift:
Fifteen Years by Kendra Norman Bellamy

BPM: Book you've bought for the cover:
E Lynn Harris -- In My Father's House

BPM: Book that should be a movie or play:
Fifteen Years by Kendra Norman Bellamy

BPM: Name three authors you would like to do a phone chat with this year.
Kimberla Lawson Roby, James Patterson and Victoria Christopher Murray


Brought to you by EDC Creations and Black Pearls Magazine. Visit the magazine here: http://www.blackpearlsmagazine.com/