Intimate Conversation with Markeise Q. Washington

Born November 21, 1984 in South Philadelphia, PA, Markeise Washington has been writing since he was ten years old. In late 2006 his literary journey began when he started penning his debut novel Entrepreneur . With his mind set on ownership, 5ive Star Publications was born in May 2007. His goal was to cover all genres of fiction as well as children's literature. Destined and encouraged to do great things Markeise is constantly reminded of the early and unfortunate passing of his biological mother whom is indeed the catalyst to his success. Proactive, determined, thought provoking and intelligent Markeise BPM: Washington will always and forever remind us that Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions .

BPM: Introduce us to your books, Entrepreneur 1 & 2. What genre are the books?
Entrepreneur follows Swift and Block who are best friends. Swift is a college graduate determined to make something of himself in the “real world.” Block is a hustler and a legend in the Philly streets. When Swift realizes that his degree doesn’t guarantee a job, he becomes frustrated. That’s when Block offers him the chance to make money to finance his business ideas. And that’s also when his life changes. Block is incarcerated, and Swift is left to fend for himself. Entrepreneur 2 picks up right where part one left off. I promise it won’t disappoint. As far as the genre, I guess people would classify it as urban fiction. I look at it as pure “fiction.”

BPM: Who were your mentors growing up? How did they shape your life?
My mentors were my parents and my oldest brother Keith. They all had different qualities that I picked up on. I took the good with the bad and applied it to my life.

BPM: What makes you powerful as a person and a writer?
I think what makes me powerful is my determination and drive. I live for this. I love writing. It isn’t a hobby or a chore. It is something that I have enjoyed for as long as I can remember. My imagination is always working overdrive. I thank God for the creator of the blackberry because it came in handy when I was writing some of my work. I think when you put words on paper and people enjoy it…that’s powerful.

BPM: What specific situation or revelation prompted you to write your book?
A couple different things happened. My brother knows a guy that wrote a book and I’m reading it like, “Wow, I can put my thoughts on paper, too.” I knew I was creative and said to myself, “Let me try my hand at this.” Then I had to have an idea or a story, right? Well then I thought about some of the things in my life, and I had a starting point. Then one night I was watching my favorite show, which was The Wire, and I just jumped and went to the computer. The rest is history.

BPM: Who do you want to reach with your book and the message within?
You know what, I would like to reach my target audience which are women between the ages of 18 and 35. I also would like to touch people who may not have read my type of book. I’d like to break down a barrier or two.

BPM: How will reading your book shape the readers’ lives?
I think it will offer them a chance to read something entertaining. Not necessarily to shape their lives, but to hopefully give them a getaway from this hectic thing we call life.

BPM: What was the most powerful chapter in the book, Entrepreneur?
I think the most powerful parts are when Swift interacts with his stepmother Camille whom he has a rocky relationship. It is authentic and I think the readers will feel those parts.

BPM: What do you think makes your book different from others on the same subject?
What makes my book different is while it may have some of the same things as other books, it’s unique. I made sure I put a twist on it meaning injecting humor or family issues. I just wanted to have little things that would stick out. I mean from the way that Swift and Block talk to each other. Down to something like them listening to music that people wouldn't expect them to listen to. I wanted to write outside the box. I also think Swift is someone people can identify with. He could be your neighbor or your co-worker. I wanted the main characters to be memorable. I think that is what sets books apart from others. A great main character carries a book.

BPM: Share with us your latest news or upcoming book releases.
In addition to Entrepreneur 1 & 2, my company 5ive Star Publications will be putting out several releases. Bruthas by J.L. Whitehead, Through Her Eyes by Krystol, Lady Vicious by Victoria Vanee Anderson, A Father's Struggle, and the Temptation Of Love by Amore, just to name a few. Also I will start posting short stories via the company website, http://www.5ivestarpublications.com/.

BPM: How can our readers reach you online?
The readers can reach me at mqw@5ivestarpublications.com,  www.twitter.com/authormqw,  www.myspace.com/5ivestarpublications,   and on Facebook. I try to answer all questions as quickly as I can.

http://www.5ivestarpublications.com/
www.twitter.com/authormqw
mqw@5ivestarpublications.com


Brought to you by EDC Creations and Black Pearls Magazine. Visit the magazine here: http://www.blackpearlsmagazine.com/