Intimate Conversation with author Rupert Junior Green

R. J. Green migrated from Jamaica at age 17 to live with his grandmother in the Bronx, New York. In 1996, he graduated with top honors from Evander Child's High School. He consequently attended SUNY Old Westbury College, earning a BS in Chemistry in 2000. Before relocating to South Florida, he continued on to Stony Brook University in pursuit of an MS in Theater.  R.J. Green is a member of the multitalented music group "SJ."

BPM: What makes you powerful as a person and a writer?
The first time I discovered I can make a difference in life had me urging to be a better person. For all those friends I sat and shared my dreams with, and who got killed in the ghetto of Kingston where I spent my earlier childhood, forced me to fulfill their dreams and mine. In high school in the Bronx, NY I helped to reduced gang war, since all my peers listened to me. I encouraged drug-dealers and pimps to give up their lifestyle and introduced them to music, most of them did that. As a writer I sparked the interest of most people who hadn’t read a book in years. Now I received hundreds of call asking when the next book is going to be release — to be so well received gives the courage to try harder as a self publisher, I thank my fans and most of all the Lord for showering me with blessing.

BPM: How much of what you write reflects on your outlook on life?
My recent novel ‘TANNY ANDERSON - Barefoot, Prickle & Thorns’ reflected some of my earlier childhood days as well as other people around me. Although written by a man through the eyes of a girl, Tanny Anderson’s life is what most people experience: moments of laughter, fear, sadness, and the will to live.

BPM: Who are your mentors? Where do you find your inspiration?
First I must say my mother Audria Nixon who had struggled to take care of her five children as a single mother, my screenplay teacher at SUNY Old Westbury College who thought I would be the greatest screenwriter one day, Dr. Lloyd who mentored me and was there for me during Chemistry BS, a professor at Stony Brook University grad school in the department of theater who told me my writing reminds him of a friend – a great American playwright.

I found my inspiration from my early childhood days growing up in Jamaica where I promised myself to be the most prosperous flowers that bloomed from the concrete jungle. I got the opportunity to further my education in the United State and I took advantage knowing I was already deemed a failure because of where I grew up.

BPM: Finish this sentence- My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...
My writing offers the following legacy to future readers who are looking for stories that everyone can relates to, as well as inspirational and new ideas: “A man with a dream worth more than his counterpart with none, while they’re asleep dreaming, he’s working towards his dream.”

BPM: Introduce us to your book and the main characters.
Tanny Anderson - Barefoot, Prickles & Thorns is a heart touching story about a Jamaican girl, Tanny Anderson, growing up in the countryside of Jamaica and the difficult journey she undertakes, even after migrating to the United States. Dreams that are shadowed by nightmares, but her will to live could not be denied. Revelations about Tanny’s life: moments of laughter, fear and sadness...

A series of books featuring the heroine, Tanny Anderson, are underway.

BPM: What specific situation or revelation prompted you to write your book?

I first began to write screenplays incorporating reality, dreams, and fantasy to produced psychological thrillers that had my teachers in undergrad and grad school thought were some of the best movie script they ever saw. As a Blackman it seemed more difficult to land a deal when you try to match, and or outdo Steven Spielberg. After turning down several mediocre offers in early 2000 I began to write books instead. A book is the easiest way to get my story across without the high budget hindering the process.

BPM: Take us inside the book. What are two major events taking place?
Two major events taking place in chapter 9 “Rescued by an Angel:” Like an angel Carol found her way into Tanny’s life and rescued her from neglect and abuse inflicted by Tanny’s paternal family (the Wilsons). Mr. Anderson began to physically abuse his girlfriend Carol after the Wilsons plotted against her.

BPM: Who are your favorites? Are your characters from the portrayal of real people?
Tanny Anderson is one of my favorite characters – she is the portrayal of many real individuals I came in contact with over the past years. Mr. Anderson, Kevin McKenzie, Grandma Carm, Carol, and Cur are notable characters as well. Vincent Johnson is a real character I remembered from third grade (many many years back); he will be remembered for his drastic action and how it impacted Mrs. Walker’s life.

BPM: What role do you give the “mean-spirited" characters? Do you have such characters?
The “mean-spirited” characters would be Mrs. Walker for terrorizing her first grade class with a deadly spanking, and Mr. Anderson for being very abusive.

BPM: Who do you want to reach with your book and the message within?
I want to reach readers who love to read good stories. Tanny Anderson – Barefoot, Prickle & Thorns gears toward those readers who enjoyed Harry Potter, but also needed a touch of reality. The message is to be strong for others maybe going through worst than you.

BPM: How will reading your book shape the readers lives?
Reading Tanny Anderson will help to heal readers who had being abuse physically and mentally, to open the eyes of parents who leave their children in the care of other relatives, and to motivate readers not to give up due to the many obstacles they faced.

BPM: What was the most powerful chapter in Tanny Anderson: Barefoot, Prickles & Thorns?
I love all the chapters since they are all unique, but I will recommend chapter 3 “Justice we want” that reflected the recent uproar in Jamaica. Even thought the book was published Jan 2010 its content is still relevant to current issue plaguing most societies.

BPM: What do you think makes your book different from others on the same subject?
My book is different from others on the same subject because it is written by a man through the eyes of a young girl, Tanny Anderson. It blended fiction and reality, and is driven by powerful characters from start to finish. People, who read the first line, always ended up reading the whole book.

BPM: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
I recently did a book signing at Hue-man Book store in Harlem and I was invited to do another one. My group SJ (http://www.sjamz.com/ ) performed for the King of Ghana, and other world leaders honoring two females government representative from Miami. I am currently working to release a psychological thriller novel “Searching for the Enemies” by the end of 2010.

BPM: How can our readers reach you online? Share with us your online contact info.
Readers can reach me online: http://www.zyfex.com/  or https://www.createspace.com/3409304

Read a few pages at Amazon Tanny Anderson. Twitter: https://twitter.com/mastarecka

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Masta-Recka/643932629


Tanny Anderson: Barefoot, Prickles & Thorns
by author R J Green
ISBN 13: 1449589480 / 9781449589486


Please share this discussion with your network too! Leave your thoughts below.
Return to Black Pearls Magazine Online