Intimate Conversation with author Ben Blaze

Ben Blaze is a new author born in Lake City, Florida and raised in Live Oak, Florida. He is featured in the anthology Romance For The Streets with Marlon Mccaulsky and K. Roland Williams. He will also be featured in the anthology Try A Little Tenderness due out on Black Friday.

Forbidden by Ben Blaze
Khalil Grisby, the son of a legendary gangster, keeps his mouth closed and takes a murder charge for his best friend, aspiring entrepreneur Naishawn Oliver. After Khalil is incarcerated, his mother acts quickly on her hate, banishing his fiance, Classy De Luca, from the family in his absence. Having no family to speak of, Classy reaches out to Naishawn for a place to lay her head. What begins as a friendly gesture blossoms into an infatuation that not even their current relationships or conscience can break. As they continue in this forbidden love, Khalil's appeal looms while his family's deadly affairs threaten to claim every life involved.

BPM: What makes you powerful as a person and a writer?
I feel I am a powerful man because of my drive and determination. My personal experiences have molded me into that type of man. I'm powerful as a writer because of the creativity I bring when I pick up a pen and the fact that I am a huge fan of literature. During my writing process I wear the hat of a writer and a fan, as I am my biggest critic.

BPM: Who are your mentors? Where do you find your inspiration?
My publisher Jarold Imes pretty much took me under his wing and showed me the game. He's been very helpful and I thank him for the opportunity. My inspiration comes from hip hop and my family. For a while, that was all I had and they will be with me until I'm gone.

BPM: Who were your favorite characters in Forbidden? My favorite character is Block, the villian. He's my favorite because I could go anywhere with him. I could take it anywhere I saw fit and I did just that. Block was not inspired from anyone in particular though. He came straight out of my active imagination.

BPM: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I want the reader to be fully entertained from start to finish. I didn't write this story to teach a lesson or even educate anyone though I'm sure there are people out there that will take something away from this novel. My main purpose was taking the reader to this world of hip hop, sex, forbidden love and greed and making sure they get their money's worth. I think I accomplished that goal.

BPM: How can our readers reach you online?
I can be reached at benblaze5050@yahoo.com,  I'm on Facebook (Ben Blaze), and Twitter (BenBlazeWrites)

Please share this discussion with your network too! Leave your thoughts below.
Return to Black Pearls Magazine Online