Book Spotlight: Inside Danica's Closet by Nikkea Smithers

Inside Danica's Closet by Nikkea Smithers

Nikkea Smithers is an Essence Magazine best-selling, author and spoken word artist. She has released several novels and poetry compilations in nearly every genre. Her writing style is unique as she uses her ability to play on words throughout each project. She is also the president of the award winning Readers With Attitude Bookclub which has been recognized as a force to be reckoned with in the literary industry.

Q:: What makes you powerful as a person and a writer?
I have the ability to write on nearly any subject and make it real for my readers. That level of diversity in my subject matter has really assisted me in growing as a writer. I always push myself to explore new ways to express my characters while enhancing my writing style. Doing this has pushed me to not write only what's comfortable for me. As a person, being able to be versatile has caused me to be very open minded which is an absolute need in todays society.


Q:: Where do you find your inspiration?
I find inspiration in everything around me. It always amazes me how no matter what people go through, they always find ways to make it through and find a lesson in it. That makes me want to tell their story. The underdog has always interested me. I wonder what causes them to follow the paths that they have gone down? I love feeding off of the energy of the world around me and making it live through my writing.

Q:: A Legacy is something that is handed down from one period of time to another period of time. Finish this sentence- My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...
My writing offers the following legacy to future readers...the ability to entertain, educate and inspire.

Q:: Introduce us to your favorite characters within Inside Danica's Closet. What are two major events taking place?
Danica is a fan favorite from On The Flip Side. She is like a guilty pleasure. She has done some really crazy things that make the readers question her motives but in this book the readers can really see where it's coming from. I was asked so many times with the last book, what made Danica the way that she was. In this book some of those questions are answered. I say some because Danica's character will always leave readers craving for more!

Danica is taking extreme measures to search for redemption. She changes her scenery and moves several states away from her home to find out what's really going on in her head. Even though she is a therapist she seeks the help of a spiritual councelor and digs up some repressed memories that almost brings a breakthrough. Her only mistake is that she hasn't covered her tracks very well.

Throughout the book there is mention of a threat on the city where Danica has moved to, but she doesn't take it serious. Even when Patrice is introduced to the drama that is causing many to stay in doors after dark, she looks over it. Neither one of these women pay attention to the signs that are spelled out very clearly. I thought about how everyday, things are happening to people and we think it can never be us. But what if it is you? What would you do? The hard truth is that you may never know until it happens however hopefully this book will help to open some eyes to know that anything can happen to anybody.

Patrice is another complex character. In On The Flip Side she had so many tricks up her sleeve that she was just down right grimy. Even though her dirt was exposed before the end of the first book, in this book she deals with the fall out. Every action has a reaction, therefore a chain of events are set into motion that cause her to have to really pay the piper.


Q:: Who were your favorites in Inside Danica's Closet? Are your characters from the portrayal of real people?
None of the characters in this book are from the portrayal of real people however I'd have to say that Danica was my favorite character. I've been pushing her character more and more to really play out some of the things that I would never do. Danica has that type of edge to her where she justifies every action and in her mind she makes it right even if she is dead wrong.


Q:: What specific situation or revelation prompted you to write your book?
This book was slated to come out later next year. There were some questions from On The Flip Side that my readers just had to find out and I wanted to feed off of that raw energy. This book was written a few months later after I collected the main feedback of what people wanted to know. I added some twist and turns along the way to make it unpredictable and interesting so I'm anxious to see how my readers recieve it.


Q:: What do you think makes your book different from others on the same subject?
This book has drama, suspense, it's edgy, it's unlike any of my other books. I wanted to go places that I've never went before in my writing. This is the first book that I have written with entertainment as first priority. Everything builds to a climax where you think you know what's going to happen but you have no idea until it's revealed.

Q:: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
I'm in tour mode. I'll be traveling all over featuring at poetry venues, meeting with bookclubs and signing books! My upcoming title is Domestic that deals with the after effects of domestic violence on a family which is scheduled to release in October for Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

Q:: How can our readers reach you online?
Readers can reach me by email at info@nikkeasmithers.com  via my website: http://www.nikkeasmithers.com/

Purchase from Amazon today!

ISBN-10: 097793876X
ISBN-13: 978-0977938766

Please share this discussion with your network too! Leave your thoughts below.