Unwrapped: Blackface by Q. B. Wells

Intimate Conversation with author Q.B. Wells

Q. B. Wells is the author of Blackface and Doughboy. Currently he is the editor of Urbania Magazine and the C.E.O of  Art Official Media, LLC. He resides in Baltimore where he enjoys meeting readers, discussing life and spending time with family.


Q: Tell us a little about your main characters. Who was your favorite? Why?
Blackface  is a coming of age story that involves four young males. Two of the central four characters are “Black” and “Face.”  Face was my favorite character because while all the characters are frustrated and angry because of their plight in life, Face is the only one of the characters that has a plan and puts forth an effort to see it through. The problem is his plan is anger driven, vengeful and murderous. He is my version of Bigger Thomas.


Q: What issues do you bring to the reader's attention?
Issues explored in Blackface are self-hatred, gang culture, racism and police brutality. Blackface is a different type of  “cautionary tale” because at its core it is about being a young black male in America and the anger that exist due to a multitude of reasons.

Anger is natural. Everybody gets angry. However, it is not natural to shoot someone, punch them in the mouth or use violence because you disagree. Blackface involves a sect of young people who have not
learned or had the positive resources to redirect their anger or dreams. They believe you can settle disputes with fist and guns. They learn from each other. And they have enumerable opportunities to do negative acts for quick profit. They don’t think about paying consequences for their acts.

The caution is to the world. If the world doesn’t embrace the young culture, there will be a problem. For black culture and the world.


Q: What inspired you to write this story, Blackface?
I had very few stories that I had read in middle/ high school that had African American teenage boys as main characters. As a result I was uninterested in the majority of school readings. I gravitated to movies until I learned that most movies I liked were based on books. Then, I learned to write a book. I thought it would give at-risk youth, specifically black males the confidence to complete the read and enjoy experiencing a black male protagonists that were stereotypical but unique. Then they would read more books.


Q: Do you write full time? Describe your writing schedule for our readers.
Write full-time?  I wish!  I’m involved with literature all day. I teach writing classes and publish / market other authors in the genre. I write about an hour or two a day. Whenever and whatever I can squeeze in.


Q: What do you like to do when you're not writing?
When I’m not writing I like to watch films, especially indy films. My goal is to shoot films so I watch a lot.


Q: What does your family think of your writing?
They love it. My family remembers my life before books and thank God I’m still here. To better the situation, I’ve found something positive that I enjoy and won’t land me in jail.

Q: What is the best piece of advice you would give to an aspiring author?
Build a readership and platform BEFORE you decide the method to publish your book. Keep writing for yourself and your audience.

Q: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
I have a new release Doughboy that will be published in October 2010 and One Hundred Miles and Running, the sequel to Blackface will be released in late December 2010 as a Digital Download for mobile
reading devices.    Buy the book from Amazon - Bookseller


More information can be found on online.http://www.artofficialmedia.com/
http://www.urbaniamag.com/
http://www.urbanbooksandmedia.blogspot.com/
www.twitter.com/qbwells
www.facebook.com/qbwells


Please share this discussion with your network too!  Leave your thoughts below.
Return to Black Pearls Magazine Online