Intimate Conversation with Pamela Leigh Starr

Intimate Conversation with author Pamela Leigh Starr

Pamela Leigh Starr traces her love for writing back to her first creation, The Terrifying Night, a comedic thriller illustrated by a classmate. Long after, Ms. Starr developed romantic stories, falling in love with the never-ending cycle of two people meeting, opening their hearts and finding their way to love.


Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I was born and raise in New Orleans where I still live, surrounded by its unique culture of jazz, the best food in the country and people who know how to let the good times roll! Les bon temps roulez!


Ella: Introduce us to your series of books and your latest release.
The recent reprints of two of my novels (CHANCES: March '09 and IRONIC: April '09) has prompted me to renew readers' aquaintence with all books in my LOVE FOUND series as well as my most recently released novel STORM.


Pre-Katrina New Orleans : In FATE, you met Vanessa Lewis, a young woman from a strong, Southern family. She was destined to fall in love with Scott, a man so different, yet so perfect for her.

CHANCES
continues this family's story with Vanessa's strong no nonsense older sister Monica, who’d lost the man of her life and was determined to bestow her love and attention on her three children. That is until her new inconsiderate neighbor turned out to be her brother-in-law Scott's college buddy, her dad's good luck charm and a brand new honorary member of the family. Everybody loved Devin. She was even beginning to feel something for him herself.

MISCONCEPTIONS, the third book in the LOVE FOUND series, brings the family together to support Daniel and Cassie as they fight a persistent thorn in their side. IRONIC brings them all together once again as the family’s nemesis unexpectedly falls for a member of this strong family united in love.


Post-Katrina New Orleans : In STORM experience the aftermath of the worst natural disaster to hit the Gulf Coast through the eyes of the Lewis, as Sabrina Adams and John Lewis find and preserve love in the midst of devastation.



Ella: What is the most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
The most surprising thing I've learned in the creation of my stories is that I should always listen to my characters. They "speak" to me as I write, guiding the story in directions I had not intended to go. When I begin a story I have an outline and set format. As my character develop they sometime tell me, "Whoa, Pam, that's not what I would do!" or "Are you crazy? I need to...". What can I do but give in to their demands?

Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
A Pre-Katrina and Post-Katrina view of family, love, resiliency and determination makes this series of books stand out. Readers have the opportunity to get to know and love a New Orleans family before Hurricane Katrina and then experience the changes in their livers after the hurricane. I began my LOVE FOUND series long before Hurricane Katrina blew into my life and the lives of the Lewis'. In my 4-book LOVE FOUND series, the Lewis clan shows a Pre-Katrina view of a strong, New Orleans family . Through STORM, I was able to relay the Post-Katina effect on a family readers have come to know and love. STORM shows how this strong family came together to overcome the challenges Hurricane Katrina created in their lives as well as the discovery of a love despite them.

Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I would like readers to gain a deeper understanding of the effects of Hurricane Katrina. Though television allowed the world to witness the aftermath of the storm, the slow rescue and complete devastation of the city I love, I wanted to share a more personal insight of the effects of Hurricane Katrina.

FATE
· Publisher: Genesis Press (September 1, 2007)
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 1585712582
· ISBN-13: 978-1585712588


CHANCES
· Publisher: Genesis Press (March 1, 2009)
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 1585712965
· ISBN-13: 978-1585712960


MISCONCEPTIONS
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 1585711179
· ISBN-13: 978-1585711178


IRONIC
· Publisher: Genesis Press (April 7, 2009)
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 1585714046
· ISBN-13: 978-1585714049


STORM
· Publisher: Genesis Press (August 1, 2008)
· Language: English
· ISBN-10: 1585713236
· ISBN-13: 978-1585713233

Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag