Intimate Conversation with Lisa Douglass

Meet Author Lisa DouglassA graduate of the College of Notre Dame of Maryland , Lisa Douglass earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Political Science, and continued her education at Loyola College in Maryland , where she earned a Master of Engineering Science degree. Currently, she is a software development consultant for the United States Federal Government.


Ella: Give us the synopsis of the book being discussed.
Lisa: BaloneyBooks.com, offers a series of children’s books I’ve written all about five-year old Gwendolyn BALONEY Lomax. These stories recount childhood remembrances told to me by my mother, who grew up as the youngest of eight siblings in a four-story row house in Baltimore . I love these stories because they are simple, timeless, wholesome tales about childhood and family. I think readers will find the main character, BALONEY, to be both familiar and likeable. Each story unfolds through her eyes. My goal with these books was to write stories that are tenderly written, without being overly sentimental. They deliberately steer clear of moralistic themes, relying more on basic notions of love, youthful spirit, neighborliness, and the natural development of childhood awareness.


Ella: Tell us about your passion for writing.
Lisa: My enthusiasm for writing stems from my excitement for storytelling. I’ve always loved to hear a story being told and am thrilled to be able to tell a story that would be as exciting to the reader as it is to me.


Ella: Finish this sentence: I am Powerful because...
Lisa: I am powerful because I can express myself artistically.


Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
Lisa: I was raised in Baltimore County , Maryland . I started my writing journey in the classroom, taking creative writing courses. I loved the idea of creating characters and telling fantastic tales. Although I put that endeavor aside for a while, as I pursued my education and embarked on my career – that interest had never left me. Writing these books sort of brought me back to my first love. I feel like I’ve come full circle.


Ella: Who is the main character and what is most interesting about him or her?Lisa: Five year old Gwendolyn BALONEY Lomax is the main character of each book in the series. BALONEY’s mother plays a significant role in her life, reinforcing the nurturing environment that is critical to the context of each tale. The character, BALONEY, is one that both children and adults can relate to. I love that there is innocence in her lifestyle and purity in the basic relationships she has with her family and members of her community. Everyone in young BALONEY’s environment has a hand in cultivating a positive and loving environment. It truly does take a village.




Ella: What makes your book stand out and what would entice a reader pick it up?
Lisa: The world we live in today is so fast-paced, full and complicated. Yet underneath it all, we still have some very basic needs and values. Baloney Books takes the reader back to a simpler and less complicated time. Readers will be drawn to the relationship between mother and child and may quietly assess their own home environment and family relationships. While BALONEY’s environment is somewhat idealized, there are aspects of it that are very relatable and realizable to children and parents today.


Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
Lisa: Above all else, I want readers to have a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience. When they put these books down I want them to do so with smiles on their faces. I want them to appreciate the simple yet lasting values that Baloney Books conveys.


Ella: What is the most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
Lisa: While writing these books was a very personal experience, I was surprised by how other people responded so enthusiastically to the books and the characters and how they were so willing to share their excitement with others.


Ella: What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?
Lisa: My biggest achievement has been ensuring quality through the writing, editing and publishing process. These books are dear to me. While they are fictional works, they are based on factual events from my own mother’s life. The person that my mother is today is largely a result of her experiences in family and society, notions that are at the core of each story. It was important to me to maintain quality throughout the entire production.


Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
Lisa: Select a subject that is authentically your own, express it with zeal, and have your work professionally edited!


Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
Lisa: You can expect more short stories about the five year old main character, BALONEY, hence the Baloney Books slogan, “More BALONEY, Please!”


Ella: How may our readers contact you online?
Baloney Books Web Site & Online Bookstore: http://www.baloneybooks.com/
Author’s Email: lisa@baloneybooks.com
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baloney-Books/40940843876
MySpace Fan Page: http://www.myspace.com/baloneybooks