Intimate Conversation with author Tomi Akinyanmi

Intimate Conversation with author Tomi Akinyanmi and Ella Curry, president of EDC Creations


Ella: Join me in welcoming author Tomi Akinyanmi to the family. Tomi is a stay at home mum, who writes and draws in her “free” time. Her accomplishments include the award winning book “A Worthy Legacy” and various published poems, including "Voices in the Wind" - 2002 winner of the Voicesnet poetry contest. She is also a singer and songwriter.


Ella: Tomi, finish this sentence-I am Powerful because…
I am Powerful because…. the words I write are seeds that will grow root and bloom in the mind of its reader.


Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I was born and I grew up in Nigeria. I moved to the United States in 2002. I began writing when I was in Elementary School. I love to read and my first experiment with writing was in trying to write an alternate end to the books I have read especially if I felt the end just didn’t feel right. However, it wasn’t until I was in college that I got really serious with my writing. I would write song lyrics and poetry. Also, since I wasn’t much of a talker, those days, writing was (and still remains) my way to unwind. To tell the truth, it is much easier for me to sit and write than to talk, I would attend parties and while others chatted about me, I could pick up on a piece of conversation, sit in a corner and create a story around it. There’s just something about playing around with words playing that I find relaxing.




Ella: Introduce us to your award winning book! What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up? Don't be modest...LOL.
Synopsis: An intensely personal story with a powerful universal resonance, "A Worthy Legacy" chronicles the story of a granddaughter who journeys to the Nigerian village of her childhood to join the rest of her family by her grandfather's deathbed. As the family says their goodbyes, Grandpa begins to share the secrets of his long life and happiness.
However, far from the ramblings of an old man, the eloquent last words amount to a code for life that's neither preachy nor commanding. "I have no diamonds to leave as inheritances to you", he tells his family gathered around him. "What I have to give are words, and they are more precious than any other thing I could give to you".

From the cover to the interior, a worthy legacy stands out as a beautiful book with an unforgettable cover image. As A. Kai (RawSistaz Reviewers) wrote, “A WORTHY LEGACY is a lovely artwork unto itself”.

The story of “A Worthy Legacy” has resonated with a lot of people across different cultures, especially people who have suffered the loss of a loved one as well as people going through life changing events. In the words of Margaret Orford (Allbooks Review) “There are some wise insights to the meaning of life and other key points that affect the quality of the life that one chooses to live”.

The story of the book also provides a window to the African culture. Since moving to the US, I have been amazed at how little people actually know of the richness of the African culture and its influence on individuals who grew up there. “A Worthy Legacy” is one of the few books out there that talks firsthand about the depth of the African cultural experience. Far from being just a story, the events described in the story represents one of the ways in which values, history, knowledge and instruction has been transferred across generations in many African cultures.



Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
According to Carol Hoyer (Reader Views) In "A Worthy Legacy", the author, Tomi Akinyanmi, makes one look at their life and evaluate where they are.

As the author, it is my hope that anyone who gets to read “A Worthy legacy” no matter their cultural background or circumstance learn to treat life as a treasured gift. I also hope that my readers live purposefully, attain their dreams and leave a worthy legacy for future generations.


Ella: What is the most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
I found that writing a book is actually the easiest part when it comes to creating a book. Publishing and subsequently marketing is another cup of tea.


Ella: Share with us your latest news, awards or upcoming book releases.
“A Worthy Legacy” received five star reviews from different reviewers including RawSistaz and Reader Views. The book also won second place in the Spirituality/Inspiration as well as the Young Adult Non-Fiction Categories of 2008 by Reader Views Annual Literary Awards – Reviewers Choice.


Ella: How may our readers contact you online?
Tomi Akinyanmi Author - A Worthy Legacy
Buy from Amazon (Hardcover); (Paperback)
Book Website: http://www.aworthylegacy.com/
Book trailer (YouTube): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQOWRcQvvnU
Facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27109996023
Author Website: http://www.tomi-akinyanmi.com/

The distance between your miracle and you is the distance between your knees and the floor. Pray without ceasing, pray about anything and everything. God is interested in all things concerning you and His ears are always open to your prayers.