Intimate Conversation with Ashea Goldson

Intimate Conversation with Ashea Goldson
Author of The Lovechild


The Lovechild
is a riveting ride through the life of Makaeli Lovechild Hunt, a successful fashion designer who struggles with her biracial identity and her spirituality. Born into a dysfunctional family, and enduring many hardships, she eventually becomes estranged from them. She escapes to Italy where she dives into her career and masks her resentment for her family, for God, and for herself. Finally, a family emergency forces her to face her tumultuous past.

In seven life altering days, she discovers what forgiveness really means and amidst crises painful enough to make her turn her back on God forever, she learns what it means to make her turn her back on God forever, she learns what it means to be God's lovechild.

It is a story of redemption and re-dedication. It’s a story about how God’s overwhelming, unconditional love can lift us from whatever pit we’re in, no matter how it looks, no matter what people say. It’s a story that confirms our victory in Christ Jesus.

Share with us a literary moment with Ashea Goldson and Ella Curry

Ella: Ashea, finish this sentence: I am Powerful because...
I am powerful because the joy of The Lord is my strength. I don’t let circumstances overpower me but I believe God’s word, stand on it, and wait for it to come to pass, without wavering or doubting. It’s my faith in Jesus Christ that makes me powerful.


Ella: Albert Einstein stated, "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts."- Was there ever a point in your career, when how your life didn't match the theory? And how did you change the facts?
Absolutely. In fact, about six years ago I had an epiphany . I was sitting in my office having a simple conversation with my business partner and closest friend when she mentioned a writer from the newspaper. I don't remember what the specifics were. All I remember saying is that I was a writer.

And do you know what she said? She said "Really, I never knew that." That statement cut me to the core, forcing me to take a long hard look at my life. Why would someone who was as close to me as she was not know that I was a writer. It was obvious to me that writing was in my heart . However, it also became obvious to me that no one else knew it because I was not writing.

It was then that I began to examine my life. The facts definitely fit the theory. I had stopped writing, and even recreational reading, two of my once favorite activities. I had been so busy doing life on my own terms that I had gotten totally off track for years. It was then that I began to seek God concerning my purpose, and how to get back to where I needed to be. There was never any doubt that being a writer was it for me so how did I get so far away from that? From the moment God allowed me to have that revelation, I sought after my purpose wholeheartedly. I was determined to turn my life around, to be a writer at all costs, and to dedicate my writing to the Lord.

I began to read and write like a mad-woman, day and night, seeking any writing opportunities that were available to me. I joined writers groups, attended workshops, sought online information, etc. Miraculously, as I sought my God-given destiny, it met me where I was. Doors began to open,favor showed up like never before concerning my writing. This confirmed my destiny and I dove in deeper. God revealed to me the steps to discovering or recapturing my dreams and I wrote the book called Resurrecting Vision:45 Steps To Digging Up Your Destiny and Seeing It Through God's Eyes.

Since that time I have written several books of poetry, miscellaneous poems, articles, essays, a Christian fiction novel called The Lovechild, and I've started my own publishing company as well. Projects and ideas are constantly coming into my spirit now that I have embraced my purpose, not someone elses, but mine. I can't begin to tell you how much satisfaction it brings to do what God has called me to do.


Ella: How did you start your writing journey?
I am originally from Brooklyn, New York. My writing journey actually began when I was a little girl writing stories and pasting pictures to make books. I am my mother’s only child so therefore I often lacked playmates. As a result of this I developed an extensive imagination. I always loved to read and write stories, and poetry. I wrote for various publications throughout middle, high school and college.

However, my official debut as a published author didn’t actualize until about 2002 when God gave me a revelation about writing being my purpose. At that point I began to see myself differently, as a God ordained writer.Consequently, I began to pursue every writing opportunity available to me.


First I published a collection of poetry and short stories called When Torn Down Is All You Know. Then a few years later I submitted a manuscript to Urban Christian Publishers and the rest is history.


Ella: Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
The two main characters are Makaeli Hunt and her sister Lisa . I love Makaeli for her compassion and sensitivity. She cares deeply for her family although their dysfunction have caused great trauma in her life. I admire Lisa for her strength and tenacity. Lisa is determined that nothing will destroy her family or her mother’s reputation and she does everything in her power to preserve that.


Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
I think that the Lovechild is not your typical story. First of all, it begins with an African American female who is living and owns a business in Italy. The story is not about a man woman/ relationship, a group of girlfriends, or a search to find a man/woman relationship. Although it’s labeled Christian fiction, it’s not preachy. It is about the dynamics of a real family relationship, life’s challenges and the consequences of deception. My characters are flawed but they are real, and although they are African American, their experiences are universal; therefore I think the story will appeal to anyone.


Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I want readers to know that God is real, and that He is unconditional love. I want them to know about his redeeming grace and about forgiveness. No matter what you’ve gone through, no matter how you feel, a real relationship with Jesus Christ can ultimately rescue and restore you.


Ella: What is the one most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
The most surprising thing I learned is about marketing being just as important as writing the book. That is a job in and of itself. I never knew how much promotion must go into selling a book after it is written. Now I understand that there is no point having a quality product if no one ever knows about it.


Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
I would tell any new writer to write everyday, whether it’s a blog, a journal, poetry, short stories or whatever. I would also tell them to secure a good support system, either online or preferably a local writer’s group where he or she can gain support, information, and possibly critiquing. Finally I would say read everything, articles or blogs about the publishing industry, books in various genres, and most importantly craft books so that you can become the best writer you can be.


Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
I am also working on my second Christian fiction novel Joy Comes In The Morning which will be released in 2010. I will also be promoting my independent press, GoldWrite Publishing, in 2009. I am actively seeking Christian fiction manuscripts and short stories now. I’d like to also publish children’s books in 2009 as well.


Ashea Goldson, Author of The Lovechild

Available in bookstores everywhere!
http://www.asheagoldson.com/
myspace.com/asheagoldson
www.blogtalkradio.com/ashea-goldson
Treasurer and Founding member of ACFW, S.E Atlanta Chapter (V.I.P)